SlotForum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
redstar
1,575 Posts
Hi,

I just got this rather strange & rare set by the Japanese company Yonezawa. The set is a figure 8 with a section coming out of it. The cars are around 1/24th scale Alfa Romeo Alfettas. The cars each have 1 battery in them. There is a tinplate control panel which also has a battery in it for the red button which is a horn. You beep the horn, turn the steering wheel & the car can go off the figure 8 onto the other road. Notice there are tinplate wheels on the outside of the cars & the real wheels are further in. The cars have an on & off switch in the rear windows. This not a race set but an odd electric roadway set. I included a photo of the Alfas next to the Yonezawa electric tether indy car i had put in an earlier topic. It seems Yonezawa made some interesting tinplate electric sets.

Thanks,
Bernard

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Bernard strikes again!

"Interesting" is not the word Bernard, fascinating is more like it! To me, this really goes off the rails of slot (sorry for the mixed metaphor) into the classic antique toys category... You must have been competing with all the tinplate collectors for this one. Isn't 1/24 for a tinplate road set kind of unusual? Most of the ones I've seen (like GEM or Jouef here in France) are more like 1/43...

Really a beautiful toy, thanks for showing it. Any idea when it was released?

Don

·
redstar
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Don,im guessing the set was made in the late 1950s to early 1960s. I might have some paperwork on it coming in soon.I dont have the original box. Perhaps our expert on tin cars Phillipe could give us more information. I know very little on this subject,only that i have never seen a picture or reference to this set or one like it. Thanks,Bernard

·
Registered
402 Posts
HI Bernard

Another great one ... and those Alfas are fantastic. I think this is one of our best finds ever. I know it is not slot, but a fantastic set. Looking forward to paperwork info!!! And thanks for the great pictures.

all my very best,

Charles

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
I just talked to Bernard on the telephone about this cute toy set. From the details, colors and design of the toy, I would say that I would place this set around 1965, not earlier. Earlier Yonezawa tinplate cars as well as the German and American toys from which it took its inspiration show different (and much simplified) style in their detail, especially inside the battery box or the wheel covers as well as basic body colors. The litho color for the control box is identical to that of their robot line also produced in 1965, especially that of "Mr. Atomic", one of their most famous and highly sought-after products by collectors today.

It is highly possible that this toy was specifically made for the Italian market with its Alfa Giulietta models, others like it with German, French or British cars likely produced for each domestic market. English instructions may show the date when Bernard will get them from the Italian seller.
This is a beautiful toy set that survived in excellent condition, an unlikely event as children are in their vast majority, toys destroyers!

The set is obviously inspired by similar pre and post WW2 sets by Marx, Tipp, Technofix and Kellerman (CKO).
Not so much related to slot cars but nonetheless a form of self-propelled miniature automobiles, better than static models for a child.

Yonezawa was an incredibly prolific toy company.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts