SlotForum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Judging from these excellent comments, I hope that we will see more and more people developing their skills to be able to actually drive slot cars competitively.

"My highlight of the day had to be watching the Senior Non-Mag races. They were absolutely awesome."

"It was amazing how very little people came off compared to the magnet racing."

"Seeing the qualifying and finals of non-mag racing, driven by people who knew how, was very impressive. A LOT less crashes and offs, which when they occured were less damaging to the cars scenery and marshalls! I can see the argument for 'this is how slot cars should be raced'."

The problem for the manufacturers is that magnets = handling. Non-magnet cars would require them to improve quality control or, in many cases, re-design their cars.

Just a thought...

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I agree about the re-design Russell. Then again, if the manufacturers did that we wouldn't need to tinker with the little cars, nor would you need to build your own to beat the competition and surely that's half the fun?

Mark.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Adrian from scalextric was pleased that many scalex cars were front runners in the mag class, but noted that slot-its and other brands dominated the non-mags. It seemed on the agenda to make scalex cars competitive as non-mag racers, they are aware of the situation.

Whilst I admire non mags and respect the skill involved, I'm still primarily sticking with mgnets!!!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Diff, I think what Russell was alluding to (and he'll correct me if I'm wrong
) was that most of the mag RTRs illustrate their poor quality when the magnets are removed - out of round wheels/tires, bent axles, sloppy bearings, etc. and that the manufacturers would be forced to upgrade the chassis quality in a non-mag world. There would still be much room for improvements, tinkering and modifications, but an out-of-the-box car could and should be a strong, smooth runner without magnets masking the deficiencies. Building one's own will always be the pinnacle - good scratchbuilding will always win over mass production!

I found the comments to be heartening, Russell!

G

·
I have to agree with Russell, removing the mags would make manufactures use better running gear in their slot cars.

RR.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
non-magnet and magnet are such different kettles of fish. To get a non-mag to be competitive, scale and realism begin to go out of the window... skinny front tyres, small hubs etc etc. Can a car be a competive non-mag AND maintain scalex/fly realism?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Yes they can mate , my Audi is box standard. Let us be clear here guys, you need skill to race well with or without a magnet. Shane Lynch is a good GT car driver but he didn`t have the skill to get better than a 3rd position against the youngsters.

Great meeting you Astro

·
Registered
549 Posts
QUOTE you need skill to race well with or without a magnet
Quite right.

QUOTE non-magnet and magnet are such different kettles of fish
Quite right

QUOTE Can a car be a competive non-mag AND maintain scalex/fly realism?
Very Unlikely

QUOTE removing the mags would make manufactures use better running gear in their slot cars.
Totally wrong. Removing the magnets would mean many manufacturers would simply make less slot cars, as the majority of the market is for magnet cars. If the market changed, the manufacturers would not upgrade all their parts, they would simply use the existing ones. After all, you are comparing whilst there are comparisons to make - if there was only magnet or only non-magnet, there would be no basis for comparison.

I have a Fly Ford Capri which is great fun for fast, competitive driving against another similar spec car. I also have one of the old yellow and blue Ford capris from Scalextric, which glides round corners and swings wide - making it do this is part of the fun. There is a place for both, and both take skill to get the best from the models.

Aaron

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
This didn't start as a mag vs. non-mag debate. No reason to go there.

Aaron, I think you may have missed the point. Take a current mag car, pull the magnets, and see how well it runs. Usually very poorly. If the magnets weren't there, they'd have to produce a better chassis or the things would basically be garbage. Yes, it's hypothetical. But it's also true. In fact, many guys tune their mag cars by removing the mags, running and fixing the problems, and putting the mags back in! That should be done by the factory... at the design and production stage.

If mag cars are holding back the manufacturers from improving their general product, I don't think that's a good thing.

Also, what does mag/non-mag have to do with realism? Nothing that I can see. No one is asking non-mag to be competitive with mag. Can't happen. So why does realism have to suffer?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I also saw a plain blue Toyota GT1 with 'silver' alloy wheels. Never seen that racing before...

Sorry Gaugemaster, but I agree with Fergy. If solt.it can produce cars for £30 that run that well without magnets, why can't anyone else? Fly Racers are the next closest out of the box, and then there's no-one. Even Ninco need a lot of work to get them to run on plexi track (hub and tyre trueing). They don't even have to make alloy parts, slot.it make straight plastic hubs too.

Lotus

·
Registered
420 Posts
what do you mean astro when you say that you saw many cars with disproportional wheels and tires? Surely some of the real cars run with eighteen or nineteen inch wheels and just a hint of rubber on top....
anyway... just because I got the rear wheels and tires changed on my audi means nothing... and I have proof - just think of where I ended in the race
ok it may have a little to do with my driving style....

//peter

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
18s mate?
nah! u want 21 inches of bling and slammed to da deck, innit!!

I think my 2.8i Capri looks good on the 13 inch pepperpot alloys it came with - nice and chunky

Regading the little cars, I've got slot it plastic wheels on my scooby, but seeing as I couldn't find a Subaru insert, I hacked the SCX wheels apart to get them

Mark.

·
Registered
549 Posts
QUOTE Aaron, I think you may have missed the point. Take a current mag car, pull the magnets, and see how well it runs. Usually very poorly. If the magnets weren't there, they'd have to produce a better chassis or the things would basically be garbage.
No, Fergy, you have missed the point. The manufacturers don't have to do anything - they can do whatever they like! And they would not be garbage, just as the slotcars from years ago did not have magnets either but they still are great fun to race and run.

QUOTE that run that well without magnets, why can't anyone else?

Because they don't want to!!

Because it is not financially viable for them, or because there is not a big enough market for their particular brand selling that particular type of car. Simple really...

Aaron

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
guagemaster is right in principle, but wrong in one aspect

Fly DO want to - they released there succesful 'racer' series (porsche and saleen no mag cers), and according to Adrian Norman, Scalextric DO want to, but are still working on it!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Aaron, I wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers.
The key words in what I wrote were "IF" and "HYPOTHETICAL". Simply, that if magnets didn't exist we would have better tolerances and components in terms of chassis and running gear because the inadequacies of current chassis would be obvious and unacceptable. That is what I meant by "garbage", since they would run as such without improvements.

I am well aware that the manufacturers won't likely offer non-mag cars on a wide scale. They don't have to, you're right. Most won't want to, you're right.

Nonetheless, my personal opinion is that magnets are greatly responsible for much of what we see as shortcomings in today's chassis and running gear. That's my belief and I'm sticking to it.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.