SlotForum banner

Your Golden Epoch?

92505 Views 2678 Replies 48 Participants Last post by  chappyman66
Most motor racing folk look back to their favourite eras from time to time because we have brains that store memories. Like all 'disciplines' motor sport, in all its forms, has gone through highs and lows, but even during troughs, we can often reflect on something that has been stored in our minds with affection.

As usual your views and images will always be of great interest. And thanks.

A few memory joggers below.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 3
1 - 20 of 2679 Posts
I love yor scratchings Trish, they are even better than your daubings.

David
Reactions: 1
That inverted radiator is just like John Cobb's Napier Railton.

David
My Golden Epoch has to be the racing career of Jim Clark, arguably the best driver in history.

Photograph Vehicle White Helmet Motor vehicle

Learning his craft in big engined sports cars which he loved.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

At the wheel of the superb Lotus 25 for the first time in 1962, it would bring him his first championship the following year.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Unbeatable in the rain, winning here at Spa in 1965 in his second championship year.

Without poor reliability in 1962, 1964 and 1967 and the tragedy of Hockenheim in 1968 Clark would almost certainly have been a six time champion.

David

Attachments

See less See more
Talking of rounded drivers, for the record while Clark raced in grand prix he also raced Formula 2, Le Mans, Indianapolis, International Rally, USAC, NASCAR, British Saloon Car Championship, Group 7 Sports Cars, National GT, SCCA and International Sports and GT.

David
Jim Clark, of course, competed in the 1966 RAC Rally, but a picture escapes me for the present. Love to see one again, please, if anyone's got one.
Clark enjoyed his one and only RAC Rally setting some fastest stage times up against the cream of international rally drivers, sadly he hit a projecting rock on a stage which put him out of contention although he did continue after some temporary repairs.

Car Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Clark presses on in his battered Lotus Cortina before finally retiring after rolling the car into a ditch - he thoroughly enjoyed the event....

David

Attachments

See less See more
I have often felt that the beautiful Lotus 25 in its original design and specification was the most elegant and stylish single-seater of the 1960s although over time the 1963 Indianapolis Lotus 29 has grown and grown on me and I wonder if it is possibly even more elegant that the 25.

Tire Wheel Trousers Car Vehicle

Jim Clark at Indianapolis in the beautiful 29 which but for the cheating Indy establishment would have won the 500 at Clark's and Lotus first attempt.

David

Attachments

See less See more
I have often wondered why turbines were such a short-lived branch on the automotive evolutionary tree.

Chrysler put some experimental turbine powered cars on the road. Andy Granitelli (STP) was on the verge of dominating Indianapolis until the rules makers literally choked the turbines out of contention by imposing an absurd air intake restriction.

They are certainly simpler than reciprocating engines and run on much lower grade fuel. Their essentially universal use in aircraft applications suggests a better power-to-weight ration.

Is it throttle response? fuel consumption? maintenance requirements?

EM
These are Graham Hill's thoughts on driving the 1963 Rover-BRM turbine at Le Mans.

Publication Font Paper Paper product Document

Font Publication Paper Paper product Document

Copyright Doug Nye - copied from BRM, The sage of British Racing Motors Volume 2

David

Attachments

See less See more
Jim Clark en route to the 49's maiden victory.
You've slipped up here Trish that isn't the Zandvoort debut winning Lotus 49 where the original 49 had the race number 5 and the body coloured windscreen surround not perspex.

Your picture is from Monza but I'm curious why Clark has a rain visor fitted as it was dry throughout practice and the race. Clark was bothered by crash helmet lift and buffeting throughout his career (which is why Lotus fitted the aero screens from 1963 onwards) so I wonder if they have done away with the peak (which aggravated the problem) and fitted the visor to reduce this. Whatever, he raced in his usual helmet and peak.

Sorry, I know this sort of stuff bores most forum members.....

David
A little bit of trivia that has always stuck in my brain, during 1967 Clark always won the Grand Prix when he was race number 5 and always had bad luck when he had another number. I know I'm sad but I've known this fact for the last fifty three years.....

David
Gurney drove McLaren F1 as well as Can Am.

David
More photographs of the quiet Scottish farmer and arguably the greatest driver in Grand Prix history.

Forehead Flat cap Chin Hand Arm

Fresh faced farmer.

Photograph White Black Tent Black-and-white

Clark selling rams in the ring at Kelso five days after winning the 1963 world championship.

Dog Photograph Dog breed Carnivore Style

Clark with his border collie Sweep.

Photograph Vertebrate White Human Shepherd

Selling more livestock.

Musical instrument Book Font Musician Publication

Makes a change from driving for Lotus.

David

Attachments

See less See more
Jim Clark's Tasman Lotus 32B in transit in 1965.

Water Vehicle Watercraft Naval architecture Boat

David

Attachments

See less See more
I stumbled across an old set of picture postcards yesterday. We oldies used to collect such things years ago. Difficult to imagine that postcards are used for their intended purpose nowadays. Another facet of yesteryear that's been consigned to history?
Whenever I'm in a card shop I always check for motoring themed cards and buy them for future use. I also pick up postcards from museum gift shops.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Travel Car Art

My current "stock" which will gradually be sent to like minded enthusiasts as birthday cards, thank you cards and notelets.

David

Attachments

See less See more
A contrast to Trisha's 1988 picture where the cars are bunched up.

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

Le Mans start 1961. Jim Clark miles ahead into the first corner in his Aston Martin leaving the field in his dust. People used to wax lyrical about Stirling Moss being the king of the Le Mans start where drivers ran to their cars and jumped into the cockpit but Clark out-sprinted him by a long way here and in races at Goodwood.

David

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 2
BRM in prep for the Mexican GP, 1969.
I have a vague memory that the 1969 BRM pit photo was actually an example of a team cock up. I think they were looking for a fault and spent ages on the engine only to discover the car had actually run out of petrol.

As I say this is a very old memory and I can't find anything about it in my various books and magazines of the period but I think I am right.

David
A young Niki Lauda started out in Formula Vee (and SuperVee).
I think he started in a Mini (the best car ever made....)

David
I've now found a picture of Lauda in his first competition car.

Vehicle Car Tire Land vehicle Motor vehicle

David

Attachments

See less See more
A yarn of everyday motoring folk

Whilst cycling on narrow country lanes two weeks ago, I had to stop to allow a van and a car to pass each other. 'Twas a squeeze that resulted in the car dropping its front wheel into a deep ditch. I hung around in case the two chaps in the car needed help in getting the car mobile again.

All was fine and the driver thanked me. We got talking about cars and motor racing for about 35 minutes. It turned out that the chap in the passenger seat was Darren Malkin, who did much of the driving for the recent film, 'Rush'.

Darren's father, Colin, along with Andrew Cowan and Brian Culcheth, won the 1968 London-Sydney Rally.

This episode quite made my day. Small world, eh?
I stumbled on this lovely amateur footage of the London to Sydney taken by Colin Taylor who entered a private 1800 in the rally.

David
After watching the London to Sydney film I had a quick look through youtube and found this very short film on the 1966 RAC Rally which includes clips of Graham Hill and Jim Clark but best of all a great sequence of Clark tackling a loose hairpin bend in true rally style.

David
BRM in prep for the Mexican GP, 1969.
I have a vague memory that the 1969 BRM pit photo was actually an example of a team cock up. I think they were looking for a fault and spent ages on the engine only to discover the car had actually run out of petrol.

As I say this is a very old memory and I can't find anything about it in my various books and magazines of the period but I think I am right.

David
I seem to recall that you're right, David. Yet another example of dear old BRM collectively scratching it's left buttock with its right hand.
I was watching an old "Wheelbase" film of the 1969 Mexican Grand Prix this morning and it contains an extremely brief glimpse of the BRM on its side in the pit.

At the end of the race there is a wonderful interview with a joyful Bruce McLaren, much missed and the nicest of men.

David
Reactions: 2
1 - 20 of 2679 Posts