SlotForum banner
2001 - 2020 of 2057 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
These Auto Unions (Type A, C and D) are beautiful pieces of machinery from a time long since past, but thankfully we are still able to witness them in partial anger.

Have to wonder though if the poor marshal's would consider doing what they did each lap for the Type A during a real race, where the steering lock was just not quite up to snuff for the required track/hairpin turning circle. A certain risk to life and limb no doubt, though in this instance fortunately, they were not under race conditions.

Maybe a deft application of accelerator pedal in conjunction with clutch by the Type A pilot could have kicked the rear end a tad, sufficient to negotiate said hairpin.

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,003 ·
Martin

Many thanks for the video. I've watched it many times as the stunningly beautiful Auto-Unions have been my fave GP cars since I was a boy.

Apparently, just the thought of blipping the throttle pedal of a V16 can induce fear, so the chap who ran out of steering lock can probably be forgiven. H-J Stuck drove one for the first time at Goodwood in 1997, and said he was initially very nervous due to the engine's elephantine torque.

Stuckey is among the most talented, fearless drivers I've ever seen, who did extraordinary things in all sorts of powerful cars, so if he was nervous of the Auto-Union's engine power...

He said, eventually, you get used to it, and just pick it up by the scruff of the neck to teach it who's boss. Apparently, it then becomes fast and very rewarding.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I agree with you Laurence in forgiving Type A pilot for not blipping the loud pedal.
My suggestion was somewhat tongue in cheek and would take a very brave man to attempt to slide the tail of such a car.
The ease of tailwagging upon throttle application is clearly evident with the other vehicles and a joy to see. The low end torque would be something to experience I imagine as Hans Stuck (Snr.) undoubtedly did back in the day.

Did H-J Stuck drive a car in 1997 at Goodwood his father had previously driven?

Would have been an amazing experience for him if it was so.

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,005 ·
Martin

All Auto-Unions appearing at 'classic' events today, except one, are either modern copies, or 'bitsas'. The only original example is the 1937-39 'hybrid' mountainclimber used initially by Hans Stuck, and then HP Muller.it's completely original, owned by Audi, utterly priceless, and is usually seen as a static display.

The V16 demonstrated by H-JS at modern events like Goodwood is an exact copy made by Dick Crosthwaite's restoration concern in the mid 1990s. Half a dozen were built to a commission from Audi, including one with a streamliner body.

In view of the sum recently paid for one of the two Uhlenhaut Mercs, I wonder what the mountainclimber Auto-Union would realise at auction today. I hope we never find out.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Many thanks for the detailed information on the Auto-Union history Laurence, very informative (y)

We have to be thankful and I know I am very much, to be able to see such vehicles today even if they are copies or "bitsas" in partial or full flight.
Understandably the original is in a museum and never run like many other vehicles, but I think back to when I was a kid and being taken to a museum and asking when do they start the engines.

Where possible and value permitting, I think the same of motor vehicles. Take them out and give them a run once in a while. You only need to view a "Engine start up and run" video on Y-Tubs to see the interest they attract and buzz they create.

With motor vehicles, for me part of the sensory enjoyment and wonder is the sight, sound and best of all smell of a running, moving vehicle, and especially a vehicle with a racing or "tweaked" single or multi-cylinder engine.
Pure Heaven.

Let's hope it may long continue.

·
Registered
264 Posts
With your "Simply Red, it's "everyones" fav colour" comment and Mr. Hucknall being lead singer with the Band named Simply Red, his name immediately sprang to my mind.

A little like Marmite (Vegemite), Simply Red were/are not to everyone's taste and often still receive heavy criticism.
Seemed to do better than most one-hit-wonders though. My musical taste range from Vivaldi to Metallica and as well as playing in a band previously, I can appreciate a reasonable musician when I see/hear one.

I still like Red though, as well as other colours...:D

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
If I was sitting in four hour delays at Dover today I'd be thinking pre Brexit was a golden epoch.
Must say it was all fine when we had five days in Le man's in June, but throw in school holidays and it's inevitable what happens.
Fortunately it's the last two days of a Cornish hol at the moment,it's been fairly quiet and heading north on the M5 on Saturday evening should be ok.

2001 - 2020 of 2057 Posts