SlotForum banner

Your Golden Epoch?

92297 Views 2675 Replies 48 Participants Last post by  Under the stairs
Most motor racing folk look back to their favourite eras from time to time because we have brains that store memories. Like all 'disciplines' motor sport, in all its forms, has gone through highs and lows, but even during troughs, we can often reflect on something that has been stored in our minds with affection.

As usual your views and images will always be of great interest. And thanks.

A few memory joggers below.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 3
2521 - 2540 of 2676 Posts
A few ol' daubings of yesteryear. A break from the teapot.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire
Art paint Cloud Paint Car Vehicle
See less See more
  • Love
Reactions: 5
Teapot accompanying fettling with slot cars, assortment of new tyres, gears and deeper guides being fitted to F1,GT3 and group C cars.
When completed an afternoon with the latest issue of Automobilsport magazine beckons,SWMBO is at the tennis club,not quite a golden age but certainly a golden day.
Reactions: 1
Most things that are any good seem to go around in circles.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting
Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood
See less See more
Reactions: 4
Something for Laurence in particular - some great footage, if only snippets

Vehicle Hood Car Automotive design Motor vehicle

Thanks, Mark. Life was rarely better than that magical epoch. Ditto Group C. I'd do it all again from tomorrow.
See less See more
After each Le Mans I always find myself in The Esses waiting for crowds to disperse when the race has finished. It's a peaceful contrast to the frantics of motor racing at that level. Eventually, I wend my way to the Sarthe River, pour a glass and drift off to sleep utterly exhausted swearing I'll never go again.

The next day I can't wait to return, and have done so many countless times. Hope your lives are equally exciting. It only needs a little effort.
Water Water resources Art paint Paint Natural landscape
See less See more
The great Belgian, JB Ickx, who only wanted to be a gardener when he was growing up.
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car
See less See more
Reactions: 2
Elation for Brits in 1962 when Graham finally did it for BRM.
Tire Sky Wheel Cloud Vehicle
See less See more
Ever go to the pub and end up listening to endless debate about football, rugger, cricket and other motoring diversions? There's a handy solution. Learn the brief history of Rolland- Pilain cars, and talk non-stop about them. I guarantee a quiet and peaceful evening to yourself. No exceptions.
Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Hood
See less See more
Support race for the French GP, 1964, was provided by the VSCC. Jim Clark was invited to have a play in R5B by its owner, Pat Lindsay, who really knew how to drive an ERA.

Jim had never seen a pre-selector gearbox, let alone used one, but broke Lindsay's record on lap 3. All part of the magic of one Clarkie in those days.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
See less See more
Reactions: 5
My first motor racing meeting was Jim’s Brands Hatch European GP win in ‘64.

Here’s Vic

My pleasure 🙂

There are so many treasures waiting to be found on YouTube!

I’m currently exploring the Wheelbase programme’s coverage of Grand Prix

Wheelbase was a proper motoring programme back in the day, there's coverage of 1970 Monaco and Mexico I think.
Indeed there is:

Another superb vid, Mark. Thanks again. As I've commented before these were formative days for so many in motor racing, that all really seems like yesterday to me.
You’re not alone there, Laurence.
Just watched Monaco again, Mark. Easy to forget that even the 3-litre cars were the right size for the track then. Beautiful cars, too, in the tradition of the craft builder.

One yarn I recall from 1973. My father and I walked a couple of laps one warm night, and passed a well-known actor with a glamorous date on each arm. The old boy, who was out of the ark, said: " That's it. If the Principality is attracting people like that these days, I'm going back to Italy." And he refused to holiday in Monaco ever again. Weirdo.
A resin 250F I bought recently in need of glue. Now better but
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

in need of a steering wheel and the correct whimscreamer (sic). It'll do for now, however.
See less See more
2521 - 2540 of 2676 Posts