SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 1225 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Laurence, some great pictures and text! I managed to forget one of my other faves from the period, the lovely Lister Jaguar "Knobbly". Brutal but beautiful.

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Stumbley

Thank you so very much. Most kind. Below, my Lister-Jaguar, cobbled together some while ago. The GRP body is so heavy that the car struggles with 18k, but it's capable of wonderful tail-slides, which is just one reason why I like using it so regularly.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
From left to right: Moss, Brooks, Hill, Bonnier, von Hanstein and von Trips but, who is the toddler in the pedal car?

It's actually a young Damon Hill!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
LOVE that pic of young Damon getting his first driving lesson.
biggrin.png

I bet he's SO embarrassed every time it appears though.
wink.png

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The low-slung Delage driven to second place in the 1927 French GP at Montlhery by Edgmond Bourlier, and the start of the 1934 French GP, also at Montlhery.

Eventual winner, Louis Chiron, gets away from Rudi Caracciola's W25, and records the last major victory for the Tipo B.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Correction to the above. It should read Edmond, not Edgmond. Predictive text got me again, and I failed to notice it.

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
And a few shots from the world of rallying, including Vic Elford and David Stone in the red Cortina en route to a class win (Touring category) on the 1964 Alpine.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Yesterday's practice for the German GP was cancelled due to fog. The medical helicopter was grounded, unable to fly safely in such inclement conditions.

Fog. Nebel in German. Nurburgring, 1936, where Bernd Rosemeyer scored his most famous victory. All was well with the field until thick fog descended, and the pace slowed. Rosemeyer was the exception. He simply drove away from the rest at unabated speed, and 'cruised' to victory by a country mile.

Bernd left the circuit with a large trophy, and the new title of Nebelmeister (Fog Master). It must have been quite an occasion.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Pescara, 1934, Fagioli in the W25 Mercedes leads Hans Stuck in the early A-Type Auto-Union, and Varzi in the Alfa.

The second photo is of Hans Stuck on the GrossGlockner, 1938, celebrating his victory over Mercedes with a whopping tail slide. With a V16 6-litre engine, and more torque than a pod of orcas, who wouldn't?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
The arrival of the full-face skidlid made many wonder if F1 had taken leave of its senses. And we had the same reaction to the introduction of the halo above the cockpit.

Both are the norm now, of course.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 1225 Posts