SlotForum banner
601 - 620 of 1910 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Interesting to reflect on how attitudes to mortality have changed over the years.
It's impossible for my children's generation to understand, but... it was just 10 years after the War.

Everyone knew someone, or knew of someone, who had died during Hitler's period of insanity. When 84 folk died at Le Mans, it was "just another chapter" in misery.
Some observations of the protagonists from that early post-war era...

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #602 ·
Thanks for the above video, Matt. I've been sufficiently lucky to have lived through the peaks and troughs of post War motor sport, and feel even luckier to have driven many different cars on public roads and racing circuits.

Martin Brundle touches on the point I made above. For years after the War, and LM 1955 was especially significant where prevailing attitudes were concerned at that time, everyone knew of someone who'd met with tragedy during the darkest days of the Twentieth Century.

Jenks 'mentioned' the death of a driver in his Motor Sport columns, but never once expressed sentiment publicly. He was very different in private. Bereavement can be frightful, as most of us know, but years ago, we dusted ourselves down and carried on because the alternative is unthinkable.

It's of some consolation that motor racing has claimed many fewer lives than other sports. Long may its outstanding safety record continue.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
The end of Crystal Palace, 1972. Me old chum, Hamish Moffatt, (R3A) leads from Guy Smith (Alvis), Ray Potter (ERA Delage), Pat Lindsay R5B, Peter Waller R9B, and Bill Morris (R12B).

Great days of VSCC would soon be finished for good - all wrecked, ruined, broken, destroyed, bombed, floundered and trashed by people who imagined that fixing things that aren't broken was, or is, a great idea.

Just who the hell are they?
I still enjoy VSCC racing and although it still isn't mainstream they have tried to raise their profile, I did prefer it when it was very low key.

Here are a few of my grainy snaps from a bucolic and relaxed Cadwell Park back in 2003.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Clothing Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

Clothing Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Plant Cloud Tire Sky Wheel

Tire Wheel Vehicle Helmet Automotive tire

David

Attachments

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #608 ·
More nice pics, David. Thank you. Anyone interested in old cars might like to watch David Roscoe's YouTube clips of VSCC events of 50-60 years ago. They are interesting on several levels.

Fabulous cars, huge crowds of well-behaved people (of both genders) and a refreshing absence of 'Elfs (or should that be Elves?).

Warning: each clip is accompanied by excruciating music, and (period) inane commentary.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Thanks for reminding me about these films I haven't watched them for ages so I am working my way through them, they are brilliant. I actually like the period music but agree with you about the infantile humour.

David

·
Registered
847 Posts
You are not alone Trish - just remember that!!!

Perversely, my introduction to slot cars was via my fathers cousins, his aunt being Aunty Trish . . .

Happy Easter, one and all.

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #620 ·
Ah, poor old Seb eh, Keith. He didn't seem to be able to get back into his stride at Maranello, and some pundits have already written him off at Aston, too.

A recent scribbler even suggested mid-season departure and retirement. Stranger things have happened in F1, but let's wait and see, eh?

601 - 620 of 1910 Posts