SlotForum banner
621 - 640 of 2052 Posts

·
Registered
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #622 ·
Here's a slot modelling challenge in the form of Keith Schellenberg's 8-litre Bentley with which he and Hamish Moffatt competed on the World Cup Rally.

The same pair also shared the same car for a trip to the Sahara in search of a crashed aircraft. After days of digging with a spade apiece, they actually found it.

Attachments

·
Jim Moyes
5,236 Posts
Looks like the Bentley is ready for any eventuality - including a spot of window cleaning should the need arise.

Reactions: HiFi

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I recon if you got a modern f1 4 inches of the ground,given all the composite materials used it would explode coming down and finish up with only a driver and engine left ,as carbon fibre ect doesn't take a whack like metal,you only have to look at how much shrapnel there is from just a wing end

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The roads are the same size it's peoples cars that are to bloody big ,come on admit it who really needs a bleeding Range Rover,and I'm not knocking just them I have a pet hate for every suv/4x4 there the vehicular equivalent of a woman's Russian shot putter,not only are they big there big and always ugly ,and if you get to drive them which I do as a valeter ,are usually a flaming liability as they handle like a small outbuilding,rant over .and on that bombshell good night

·
Slot King
3,691 Posts
I noticed that they called Tabac, Harbour bend on the commentary.

David
To this day most people call <les Hunaudieres> the Mulsanne straight.

Because Monaco has changed so much over the years, it is difficult to find out what was what.

The current name of the road is <Swimming pool road>, it is the road leading to the harbour entrance, but there is a tabac on the corner, so both could be right.

Joel

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Joel

The corner at the end of the prom was always called Tabac in both race reports and on commentary for as long as I can remember, this 1955 film is the first time I have heard it called Harbour. I dont know if it was this chap using the name or if it was the correct name. I might do some research for my own interest.

David

·
Registered
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #635 ·
Lotus folk in particular might like to note that BBC Radio 3's 'Jazz Record Requests' this afternoon devoted a whole hour to the late Chris Barber.

I'm fairly sure the prog is available on the usual tech facility. Made a refreshing change from that which, arguably, passes for Jazz nowadays.

·
Slot King
3,691 Posts
Joel

The corner at the end of the prom was always called Tabac in both race reports and on commentary for as long as I can remember, this 1955 film is the first time I have heard it called Harbour. I dont know if it was this chap using the name or if it was the correct name. I might do some research for my own interest.

David
David, the strange thing is that it is called Route de la piscine on Google maps, but not by Michelin (they call it Quai Albert 1er).

If swimming pool road is really it's name, it must have been called something else before they built the swimming pool.

Having spent time on Google, I was surprised how close Tabac is to St Devote (just a short flight of stairs by the look of it).

I found a 1950s street map on a site, but these are no street names on it, just the layout.

Joel

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
I also noticed the commentary referred to Portier as the corner under the railway arches, this the corner that leads onto the sea front road before the tunnel. Either this corner wasnt named back in 1955 or the commentator didnt know its name. I still havent looked into it myself.

David

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I would assume, right or wrong, that the film was destine to be shown as a short in cinemas and so the commentary is assuming is that most people wouldn't know the correct names for the corners and that a descriptive one would be helpful.

Think I might have been correct about some of the roads being wider. When the swimming pool was built they also built a new promenade which is the road now used by the race from Tabac and the old road in under the grandstands there. There were I believe also other road improvements from this time.

621 - 640 of 2052 Posts