SlotForum banner
721 - 740 of 1910 Posts

·
Registered
12,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #721 ·
Start of the 1965 German GP, where Jimmy clinched his second Championship. During Friday practice he did one lap of the Nurburgring that knocked 16.3sec off Surtees' lap record for the previous year's race. Yep! Sixteen point three seconds..!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Prince Michael cleans the Maxi's rear window during the 1970 Mexico Rally, and approves Kit Spackman's welding around the door.
Wonderful find Trisha!
thumbsup.gif

I've never seen that pic before. Actually I'm not sure the welding as all that good, we did the cars in a BIG hurry and only had time for an even more rapid torsion test to see if we'd solved the strength problem. We had, but only just.
wink.png

And that pic of the '65 German GP start is terrific too, a really good source info for any of us building cars of the period.
thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
12,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #728 ·
'Tish' Ozanne, Tina Kerridge and Bronwyn Burrell pose for cameras with their Austin Maxi ahead of the Mexico Rally which, for these plucky girls, ended in Argentina. Apparently Kit's welding was fine, but, he packed the wrong sandwiches for them (Forest of Dean cheese) and they simply went home...

Only joking old boy.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I met Bronwyn and her Maxi at the last RaceRetro event, and what a terrific woman she is to chat to.

She HURLED the car round the track there, most impressive. And it sounded like no Maxi I've ever heard, before or since!

I told her about welding up the tailgate on her car, and she said they'd wondered why that was done at the time, but no-one told them back then.
biggrin.png

·
Registered
12,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #733 ·
Girling Foss with his mechanic, Alf Francis. All a long time ago but, anyone of any age, 'should' read Alf's autobiog, for it gives accurate commentary on the lot of so many during the 1950s.

It's a gem of social and motor racing history, contrasting so very sharply with today's world.

Attachments

·
Jim Moyes
5,180 Posts
Alf fitted Stirling's Standard 8 with a "hot" 10 engine and Borrani wires. Apparently Stirling liked it so much he used it for several years until it was unfortunately written off on the A1.

·
Registered
12,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #738 ·
Quite, Keith. Some 25 years ago, a chum of mine (an experienced motorcyclist) won a few laps of Oulton Park in a chair with a rider, who at that time, was competing in the national Championship. Chum chucked in the towel after two laps.

Terrified and exhausted from trying to hang on, he was further deflated when the rider told him they'd been dawdling for the sake of safety.

721 - 740 of 1910 Posts