SlotForum banner
1041 - 1060 of 1225 Posts

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,042 ·
Willie Green in the late Anthony Mayman's Ferrari at Silverstone, circa 1988. In those days Silverstone could still be recognised, predominantly, as a motor racing circuit, rather than the PR-BS-infested, "yeah-no", "no-yeah", polyester-reinforced, Pampers', fish-bowl, landfill-luvvy, vitamin-deficient, peroxided, ghastly, seeping septic tank it is today.

·
Registered
615 Posts
My pleasure, Laurence.

Can only agree with your assessment of Silverstone today :(

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,045 ·
Thank you again, Mark. It's difficult, if not impossible, to understand why Silverstone has descended into 'progress'. Today, it's so frightful, that I can't imagine going again, despite a time years ago when I almost, but not quite, lived at the wretched place.

'Twas bleak and raw, but at least, chummy. Now? Ow Gawd...

I continue to give thanks to the good Dr Jonathan Palmer for not having subjected Oulton Park to the same ignominious... ignominious, downward spiral towards...

... well, no need to go on, eh?

·
Registered
615 Posts
A tad harsh, I’d wager.

My local circuit is Castle Combe, still graciously old school, while my ‘childhood’ local, Brands Hatch, appears to remain relatively untouched compared to Silverstone, though it’s a long time since I’ve been there.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,052 ·
Mark

Many thanks for your pic above. I recall very clearly so many racing cars tucked in to the bed of a VW pick-up. Wonderful that you've found pictorial evidence.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Pete Arundell’s ‘works’ were not far from us and you often saw this pass through.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,054 ·
Found this photo today in yet another old picture album dated 1989. I captiioned it thus: "Lord Mountbatten's heap in Builth Wells."

Otherwise, I can't remember a dashed thing about it. Was rather busy in those days.

Jus' sayin' again.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,056 ·
A most cheering and agreeable day out for me driving Minis at Haydon. A hoot and a privilege.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,875 Posts
And strangely predictive text by voice is pretty accurate

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,059 ·
The late Hannu Mikkola and quattro at Shelsley a few years ago. He went up the hill in a whisker over 27secs. Anyone acquainted with the ancient Worcestershire venue will know that such a time is virtually unheard of for a saloon car.

·
Registered
615 Posts
You can edit posts, Laurence - click on the vertical row of three dots in the top right-hand corner of your post.

1041 - 1060 of 1225 Posts