SlotForum banner
1181 - 1200 of 1225 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
The 1957 Zagato-bodied 450S Maserati, regarded by Girling Foss as the second most horrible car he ever drove.
To quote from Supercars.net,

"With encouragement of Stirling Moss, Maserati had Frank Costin, an English aerodynamic consultant, design a low drag body for the 450. In just a couple days, Zagato manufactured Costin’s body, and the result was somewhat unflattering."

It was also one of Frank Costin's few failures. It was more draggy than the 450S and slower on the straight. It still retained the transmission weakness of the donor car and the transaxle failed during the race ('57 Le Mans). I had not realised that the body was initially put aside for scrap, but somebody saw it and persuaded Maserati to stick it on chassis 4012 with body mods by Fantuzzi, and it became a road car (!).I believe that this version still exists, but even Fantuzzi couldn't turn it into anything good looking.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,184 ·
The car might have worked more appropriately, if those responsible for building the body, and more specifically the floor arrangement, had actually finished it.

Girling's criticism had nothing to do with its aesthetic whatsoever.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Wasn’t it just?

On my ‘to do list’, which has been running inside my head for the past half-century or so!

·
Registered
72 Posts
When knights of old . . .

View attachment 281264
This certainly could make an interesting caption competition "He said/She said" entry.

He: "Would you like a lick of my lolly ice.......?"

Then again judging by the young Ladies body language (hands on hips like she's about to unleash a tirade of "what for's") towards said partner (Jim C?)

She: What do you mean don't like it, I just spent the last of the housekeeping AND walked the length of the Pit's to get it for you, you ungrateful B**!??# "

Some fantastic photo's in this thread depicting some amazing history.
Most interesting and enjoyable to see. Thank you.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,198 ·
A rough scratching of the M7 designed by the late Robin Herd, and developed by Gordon Coppuck. Manufacturer of model cars, John Day, frequently said that Robin Herd was one of only two people he could ever trust in F1 during the 1970s.

John was far from unique in his view that the other chap was Max Mosley.

1181 - 1200 of 1225 Posts