SlotForum banner
1321 - 1340 of 1570 Posts

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,321 ·
In the same 1929 Brooklands' 500 mentioned above, Jack Barclay won with his Bentley, despite this high-speed slide. He appears to have abandoned ship in this pic but, expecting to crash, he ducked down and steered the car back to its happier and more conventional direction of travel.
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Snow

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Martin was the UK karting guru for a while with Zip down at Rye House.
The Hines family was Zip. I was in the same race as him once. Not anywhere near him but...

Reactions: HiFi

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
The Hines family was Zip. I was in the same race as him once. Not anywhere near him but...
Apologies. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be. That and...👨‍🦳

Terry Fullerton was the guy I was in a race with. Hines was more Superkart.

Reactions: HiFi

·
Registered
2,941 Posts

:love::love::love::love:🥇

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
RAK2 was the first car I have seen which used wings to create downforce, and Fritz's son was Rikky von Opel who was Formula 1's only driver from Liechtenstein. Useful for the pub quiz?

Here is another stirring shot from the archives. It's a hill climb but more than that I don't know.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,334 ·
Gripping

I've seen your pic above previously. Can't recall where. Will now spend weeks trying to remember. Got nothing more than a hunch that it might have been Hans Stuck in roughly 1928.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Gripping

I've seen your pic above previously. Can't recall where. Will now spend weeks trying to remember. Got nothing more than a hunch that it might have been Hans Stuck in roughly 1928.
That sounds about right. It is on the page following your crashed Stuck photo in the book he “Co-wrote” with Ernst Burghaller. There is only a cryptic caption which is totally uninformative.

·
Registered
518 Posts
"Well, it passes the time on this grey, wet, 'orrible day."

52° F and rain all day here in the Pacific NorthWET. Same as it has been for the last 4, and likely to be for the next 3. Good days for doing resin 3D printing!

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,340 ·
Tangerine 🍊

You're quite right! Nothing like it. Each to his own, of course, but it gets better, occasionally, if you substitute tea and bickies for a wee dram and a plate of...

... well, what? I tend to favour cheese sandwiches with runner bean pickle. Nothing quite as good as mustard-custard in combination with a lock on the slot room door.

1321 - 1340 of 1570 Posts