SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

Registered

Registered
First is the Start Light Gantry:

It's modular and so can be sized, according to requirements. I've also got two options, one with the starting lights, designed to connect to an Arduino (or whatever) and one with just a blank face for adverts/posters/'Start/Finish'. View attachment 308350
View attachment 308347
View attachment 308349
View attachment 308351
View attachment 308348
Mate love the gantry, if you could work out the LED's (Green, Yellow and Red) to work with a SmartSensor box(RJ45?? and Arduino), I would be really interested in buying one from you.

Keep up the good work

Mark

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Mate love the gantry, if you could work out the LED's (Green, Yellow and Red) to work with a SmartSensor box(RJ45?? and Arduino), I would be really interested in buying one from you.

Keep up the good work

Mark
Mark, Thanks!

It's designed to work with an Arduino: that's how I have it working at the moment. I have it working with Race Coordinator. Have a look at these videos: Go Scalextric's new start light gantry
and Go Scalextric's new start light gantry, to see how I have it.

I have changed the RC sketch for the lights the way I want.

As regards, the SmartSensor, what did you have in mind and what are you connecting it to? As far as I know, SS needs to work with an RMS, such as Race Coordinator, RCS64 or SSDC. Let me know and I will see if I can figure it out, as I have an SS (somewhere, buried in a box...)

Connal

Registered
Connal,

Mate looked at the video, bloody brilliant, exactly the sort of start, stop and yellow flag sequencing I am after.

I use RCS64, and use the Smart Sensor for Pit Lane detection. Smart Sensor has a RJ45 socket that allows connection to the internal Arduino(see thread here). How do your lights connect to the computer and ultimately RCS64.

Mate I am really keen on the full package, I reckon it's great.

Regards

Mark

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Mark,

I've done some research and I have now wired up the Smart Sensor to the Arduino, which, in turn connects to the lights gantry, so that RCS64 now controls the lights. I haven't connected it to a track but I can see that RCS has full control, as shown in the video:

apologies for the appalling quality of the video but, hopefully, you can see enough.

If you are happy with it, probably best to continue the discussion in a PM.

Thanks,

Connal

ParrotGod
Wow, that looks really good. What leds are you using? How you control the changing of colour?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks!

The smart sensor outputs what would be the signal to single LEDs, through the RJ45 socket.

I have plugged an RJ45 cable in to that socket, cut off the plug at the other end, and wired it in to my Arduino, which operates the gantry lights.

The sketch on my Arduino reads the signal from the RJ45 and 'transposes' that into the signal for the LED strip.

The LED strip is a generic addressable LED strip.

What I have done isn't new but I have taken it a little bit further by lighting the red LEDs individually, rather than as a block.

Connal

ParrotGod
Ok, so basically you are making the two arduino units (SS is an arduino) talking with each other.
Cool.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Correct. If I could get hold of the smart sensor sketch, presumably I could do it all on the smart sensor. However, it looks like both teh smart sensor and the sketch have disappeared :(

ParrotGod
I have not checked recently, but Kare absence from this forum was an indication that SS is not an active project.

Reactions: Lannoc

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Cutting mat Line Font Circuit component Gas

Don't say I never listen...

A number of people felt that the lamp posts were too chunky. So I have revised the design and I've got it as small as I can, without losing the integrity of the physical product nor the principle that I wanted to retain the jack plug for ease of removal. So, the new version is 17cm tall and around 5mm in diameter. Still too wide for purists, I know but.... Let me know what you think.

Connal

Registered
Some very interesting items. Keep them coming.

Reactions: Lannoc

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks

Cutting mat Engineering Wood Gas Urban design

...and I've created a smaller version of the gantry too, as an alternative. It's still modular, so it can be taller or wider as well. The lights will go on it too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
...and finally, for today, I've made trackside netting. I know that there are other solutions but I haven't seen any that clip in to the Scalextric border, where the barriers usually go. I also have a clip for the stanchions, which can attach to either the border or the track itself.
Computer keyboard Blue Peripheral Computer monitor Water
Hood Blue Wood Mesh Automotive exterior
Light Grille Mesh Line Rectangle
Table Wood Rectangle Flooring Hardwood

ParrotGod
The lamp post looks more prototypical to me.
I am not 100% sold on the poles for the gutter guard: Overall I do not like the look of the guard. But if I had to use this with your posts, I would make sure that the cable ties's stopper (I am not sure how it is called) are on the outside of the fence: as they are right now they will likely catch on car bodies and wings.

Registered
Grunz, I'd consider weaving a relatively strong small diameter thread through the weave and down the pole. But I'd probably use Brass poles, bent at the top. I have some really small safety wire left over from my RC Jet days that I'd try.

Registered
@Lannoc - maybe I can help you with the SmartSensor sketch (I had access to Kare's repo years ago, I had plans to enhance and share back to github however just never got around to it...).

I cannot share the latest SS sketch (V014), as it's not mine to share (I agreed not to), however I may be able to point you in the right direction if I can.

Being able to control both gantry start lights and addressable track LED strips from SS (possibly a speed trap too), was where I was planning on going - so just the one Arduino required...however...we might need a bigger boat....

PM me if you want to chat.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
That would be fantastic. However, I'm not a great programmer and I kinda blunder around (infinite monkeys/infinite typewriters), so starting completely from scratch is a bit scary. I was hoping to build upon someone else sketch but I completely understand that Kare's sketch is not yours to share. Maybe one day, I will have 2 x (infinite monkeys/infinite typewriters). Thanks.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts