SlotForum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Actually, having said that... does anyone have access/knowledge on how to 'read' the data coming from RCS64 and/or SSDC? I had a look on the interweb but I couldn't find anything. Presumably Kare and others knew that? Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's a real shame that Smart Sensor isn't available any more and Kare's website has gone, you can source C7042 APBs OK and purchase RCS64/SSD - however without SS for the pit detection you do lose a lot of functionality, the only other option is RichG's Pit Pro but I'm guessing they're difficult to come by now.

So that begs the question, can the functionality that we enjoy with RCS64 and SS Arduino be replicated somehow?

SS is basically an standard Arduino UNO board with a custom shield on top.

The custom shield gives the additional required hardware connections for:
  • an Ethernet/RJ45 output socket (used to drive gantry start light LEDs)
  • has one stereo input jack socket for the PIT IN/PIT OUT sensor loom
  • has 6 red LEDs protruding up from shield so you can see what's going on

The Arduino UNO that the shield plugs in to allows USB comms to PC (SPI) and runs the sketch.

Key SS functionality is:
1. powers start light sequence on gantry of choice via RJ45 cable (8core)
2. detects CarID when a car crosses PIT IN and RCS64 presents pit options (refuel/tires etc.), detects CarID when card crosses PIT OUT so RCS64 know you're back on track racing

Replicating start light functionality is pretty easy with just an Arduino UNO (or NANO), the sketch listens on SPI bus for protocol comms from RCS64 via USB then writes out to defined pins. So you can wire your own cable harness (8 core) to the output pins defined in your sketch and wire the other end to your start light gantry for start lights and yellow flag functionality, so no RJ45 output shield required.

Replicating PIT IN/PIT OUT is more complex, firstly you'd need to make your own 3 core sensor loom for IN/OUT senors with the correct spec sensor to fit under track, however this should be pretty trivial to do.

Next you need to connect the sensor to the Arduino, SS uses a stereo 2.5mm input jack (3 core) for the IN/OUT sensors but again this really requires a shield. No reason why you can't just connect the 3 wires directly to GND/PIN X/PIN Y. This will be the most complex part of the sketch.

Regarding the 6 red LEDs on SS, they are useful but not a showstopper and we might be running short of pins....

Finally you'd need to write the sketch to hang everything together and test, test, test...

Additional functionality - what I'd like to see is addressable LEDs for start lights, wireless nFR24LO1 and a speed trap on the long straight!

41 - 44 of 44 Posts