#1 ·
The Eagle has Landed

Pit-Pro still needs to be installed:

Made my self a "Shauns Esses" chicane.

From another angle

Left/Right Es

Right/Left Es

It makes a faster line through the esses

Who needs headlights for digital racing ?

I'm pretty much on another planet right now, so I'll return later with a proper description of my last plastic track(After this one it's gonna be wood)

Cheers

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Lars goes digital!!!!

oh my god is the world going mad....

Great chop job on the CLC's.... did you manage to make two from two? or was it a more expensive 4 CLC butchery...

Would hate to be racing on the inside lane against a barnstormer on the best line you would see nothing but dust!!!! great job lars...

I think i'm jelous yet again...

Think i was bitten by the scenery bug while sleeping the other night... woke up with a plan to go routed... not sure what i've let myself in for!!!

#3 ·
The left/right "S" is made out of two lanechangers, but as thats gonna be expensive in the long run I created the expit piece for the right/left "S" from a standard radius 2 curve and a radius 3 curve.

I've got a couple of other mods comming up in the next days

The scenery thing is infectious, so be carefull or you'll find your self at 3 in the morning with a dremmel in one hand doing coble stones.

I've rug raced digital for a couple of years and have wanted to build a digi track from the begginning but got distracted by a mountain, a proxy race, and a shopping mall.

I'm looking forward for your routed project, and will be taking notes as we all know that one day we all go routed.

Cheers

#5 ·
QUOTE (PSRRFH @ 16 Feb 2010, 15:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm looking forward for your routed project, and will be taking notes as we all know that one day we all go routed.

You can't take notes from me... you inspired me!!! just learn from my mistakes... there will be loads.

It was definately the well moutain proxy on Youtube I stubled across late one night that rekindled the slot car gene...

that and having a "space" to build a layout... then for some reason decided to build three?

I have already decided based on your experiences the cobblestones in my marketplace will be "plasitcard"... although i do have a dremel... and often up at 3am.... argh!!!!

Starting to believe that insanity is part of creativity... if thats the case im definately creative...

#6 ·
Great work on the track peices

Any chance of a how to do it with a few pics ? Please

Michael

Ps These are bits that Scalex should make - come on look here see what great bits people do

They do all the hard work for you there R&D department should look in here each day

#7 ·
I can't take credit for this as I've taken the idea from this thread
racing line transplant

For a left/right "S" you do it like this.
Basically you trash a lefthand in to out and cut it in half(Used for the entry)
then you trash a right hand out to in and cut in half(Used for the exit)

then you join the two sections with hot glue weld the rails where you cut them and "Bob's your uncle"

Instead of trashing another lanechane for the exit piece you can make it from a standard radius 2 curve and a radius 3 curve.

I'll try to do a photo tutorial when I get a new lanechane

cheers

#8 ·
Well ohh well
Here is the beginning of my next mod. It's gonna be a combined High speed Racing curve and Out to in lanechange, And hopefully it's gonna be Bi-directional.

I noticed that the curves before the X in a digital X-Over(Lanechange) matches an Outer R4 curves.

so here we have a straight followed by 2 R3 and then comes a long straight

And here is the Modded X-over with added R4 Slots

I still need to create the road surface, and you all know what that means(Dry wall mud)
And then to move one sensor to the other end of the track piece.
The white sticks in the slots where to keep all the slots aligned while I hot glued the pieces together.

Enjoy & thanks for watching
Lars

#10 ·
That's too funny that you drop by 2 days after I started this track cutting journey.
I don't know how many times I've read your thread or looked at the pictures as I don't have any electronic knowledge.
So you are very much the reason/Inspiration for doing this.

I hope to make all my lane-changes Bi-Directional.
And this X-over racing curve should work when I move one of the sensors on the sensor board to the exit flipper.

I would love to see a video of your track
Thanks for stopping by

#12 ·
I love it, too! That's a really cool idea, Lars. I'm sure it will turn out great. That's a really interesting racing line created there, too. I can't wait to see how you incorporate your custom lane changers into a layout.

#13 ·
@ Sean, Again I think it can be credited to my manic nature, it's a bit like you're work documenting the speed of different track piece combinations.
In the end it comes down to the fact that we want more enjoyment out of what we have got.

@ Greg
Thanks I'll build lots of carpet layouts before I commit to anything.

But this track is gonna be a fast one, as opposed to my rally tracks, a grandprix/CanAM track inspired by the movie Pinch Cliff Grandprix.
why or what is that you ask ?
Well I want to build the cars from that movie and most of the cars are CanAm cars except for the Il Tempo Gigante the Bertone Carabo & the Abarth 2000.

Car number 12 - Abarth 2000.
Driven by the dangerous German, Heinrich von Schnellfahrer, also known as the speed phenomenon with monokkel and glasSeye

Car number 3 - Bertone Carabo.
Driven by Ruffino Gassolini, also nown as the speed devil from Torino.

Car number 5 - McLaren Chevrolet.
Driven by Ronnie Medel-Svensson,

Car number 8 - Lola L&M 260 Can Am.
Driven by Carlos Fandangio, the man from the Pampas

Car number 4 - Lola L&M 260 Can Am.
Driven by the Irish Jimmy Mc Quick

Boomerang Rapido - Mc Laren M8B. (12 cylinders)
Driven by Rudolf Blodstrupmoen, Don't know his English name

And last but not least
Il Tempo Gigante
Build and driven by the bike repairman Theodore Rim

all cars but Il Tempo Gigante was Politoys kits in scale 1:25
So I'll need to find them in 1/32
And I'm thinking of using a Fly Truck as the foundation for I'l Tempo Gigante.

Here is a video of the race:
&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6">[URL=http://www.youtube.com/v/

Of course I'll never finish this project but I think I'll have some fun while trying to do it
So that's about it for a rather length response

Cheers

#14 ·
Ahh "FlĂĄklypa Grand Prix" (the original Norwegian name of the movie).

Fantastic movie
The 1:1 car is HUGE and it's on display at Hunderfossen family park (close to Lillehammer) togheter with the trolls and fantastic fantasy worlds.

Il Tempo Gigante has two engines, one up forward packing twelve cylinders, which at 11 000 revs develops 800 brake horse power. This in turn starts the turbine engine at the rear, with its octagonal carburettor ignition, which gives an extra kick of about 1200 hp at 18000 revs. Jointly these two engines will produce a boost guaranteed to register 5.3 on the Richter scale.

#15 ·
@ 356Speedster, "FlĂĄklypa Grand Prix" and "Sidebrok" are some of my favorite things coming out of Norway, other things would be the snow and the nature.

Well I got a little further with the Racing curve Out to in lanchange.

Here is how I'm rebuilding the road surface.
I taped a very thin piece of clear plastic to the back side of the corner.(It was from some kind of IKEA packaging)
How do you photograph something clear ????

Then I glued on corrugated cardboard patches in the areas where the road surface is missing.
Here you can actually sense the clear plastic :)
I glue on corrugated cardboard so that the drywall mud will have something uneven to stick to.

And last I added some coffee stirring sticks to the X-section.

Then I added the first layer of drywall mud and put it infront of the heater to let it dry(no pictures of that)

I've never been good at waiting, keeping secrets or at economy, so here is what I started on next.
It's a 180 degree decreasing/tightening curve (But it dosn't have to stay that way)it's composed of 2 R4 then 2 R3 and ending in a 90 degree racing curve/X-over

Looking at an straight lane changer just before a corner has always made me think why Scalextric have not made a variation on this track piece like this.
Enabling a third lane on the inside.

So a straight piece will take you to the inside lane and into a R3 piece.

then comes two 22.5 degree R2 pieces so that the corner can be taken apart and maybe just be a part of a longer 3 lane section

finally exiting the corner through two R2 outer curves.

that's it, see ya at the next Eldorado
HAVE A NICE DAY ALL

#16 ·
That last pic looks like a variation on something from oldslotracer himself. I have seen a couple of routed layouts that have the inside lane crossover to the outside and the other two lanes move in one. These mods are very interesting but more complex than the earlier racing line "esses" om post #1.

Keep up the good work and show us your progress... you are truly taking us into new territory!

Cheers!

#17 ·
I'll do the bold statement that anybody can do "Shauns S-ses" as I call them, two cuts with an electric pendulum saw,......(the ones you hold in your hand and the blade goes up and down)
(in Denmark we call it the rabbits naughty parts).....andBob's your uncle.

With the collective thinking going on at the moment, maybe I should start taking orders from people ??

cheers and thanks for watching

#18 ·
Well, life goes on.

Here is what I ended up with after tonights cutting.

2 lane to 3 lane entrance

3 lane to 2 lane exit

You do not need to use it for a 180-degree curve since it can also serve as a starting piece and end piece to a 3 track section.
That is why I use the 2 half standard R2 curves, so it can be separated for each 22.5 degree.

And now I'll see if I can manage to get some more Hot glue or I'll have to wait until Monday, if so..... some rally cars will get a good trashing around

Kind Regards
Lars
You do not have to be crazy to be here, but it helps.

#21 ·
QUOTE (rallyP @ 21 Feb 2010, 04:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Lars, do not know how could I have missed this new adventure of yours! Very interesting cut and paste constructions, almost total freedom!!

How is the digital thingy going for you?

Well I've been rug racing on and off with digital for a couple of years but only with a 4-car base which is not very powerfull IMHO, the cars lack topspeed and punch.
It's OK fun though, for a two car persuit on my shopping mall :)
But with the PB-Pro upgrade it's very close to the analog power and it's a funny sensation when you start a race and the car feels real heavy and slow, and then lab by lab you can feel the car getting faster and faster, due to fuel consumption.
So lots of new stuff that will take some time to get used to and lots of enhancements to the driving experience and gaming aspect.
Of course sector timing would be sweet aswell, and I think it can be done with some kind of program . And that way my Mountain and my Shopping Mall can be included in various ways.

The second thing is a thing that I think all manufactures have got wrong and the reason for cutting up my 3 curve lane changers and 2 X-overs:

The trackpieces available does not create interesting or real racing lines, which leads to a kinda dull sensation IMHO

ex. The esses that ShaunBMX came up with would be so easy for Scalextric to produce (I mean it's based on there own footprint!!!!!)
Yesterday I discovered that the rather expensive leftovers from making one of the esses(the In to Out ends) makes for an exelent bottleneck into a parabolica(I think it's called) singel lane section.
The R3 curve with R4 racing curve inlays like I've done would also be easy to make based on there existing footprint.
A longer X-over, and a variation piece with a 2 lane to 3 lane extension like shown above.
Generally I'm missing track pieces that creates oppertunities instead of blocking options.
Entry and exit flippers with power should be mandatory(Something that I still need to learn), so you had bi-directional driving.
And sensors for triggering the flippers should be made as butten connectors so that you could click them on under any trackpiece prior to the Flipper.
Finally I think there should be a guide where you could mount the incar diode right infront of the guideBlade(Thats another MOD) to ensure that sliding cars would still trigger flippers.

So what do I think of digital ???

Well the PB-PRO saves the day on the control, Power & Gaming side of things, and with some heavy Slice 'n' Dice you can make some pretty interesting moves.
Give it 10 more years and I'll guess that we'll see some pretty amazing stuff.

QUOTE (duncanb @ 21 Feb 2010, 12:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow......
Im watching very closely to see what you do next. Suddenly, having previously been happy with my layout, I have now decided that a few of my corners are a little boring.... Lets hope I still have enough fingers to type tomorrow!

I hope to have this track cutting journey for a little testspin video in a week or two, probably the later.
Don't sue me if you break or destroy anything :), after a little while I'm sure you will come up with new ideas, please come back and share as I'm running out of trackpieces to cut :-(
And Please be careful with whatever you use to cut.
-
Lars

#22 ·
QUOTE Finally I think there should be a guide where you could mount the incar diode right infront of the guideBlade(Thats another MOD) to ensure that sliding cars would still trigger flippers.

I did something else and mounted a series of ir receivers in the track instead. This way - when cars are sliding the IR will still pick it up. There is a thread somewhere on what components you need. Its actually on the diode, some wiring and some soldering that is required - and of course a hole to set the diode in.

/Christian

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
My own idea which I would like to use but have not as yet managed is to...... take 2 pitlane pieces and align them so as to make a 4 into 2 exit.
Now if you were to cut bothepieces down the middle of the straight slot and put the other bits together you would be left with a 3 into one lane narrowing.

My other idea was very similar with 2 XLCs. Again align like a 4 lane 'interchange' and cut down the inner rails. Taking out the smaller bits in the middle and put them together. We have moved from 4 lanes to 3. This should allow both outer lanes an option to the centre at the same time. You would have to engineer the middle flipper as to how you wanted it to work ie. forced onto the 'racing line' with an option to go the other way. Im not sure you could make a car in the middle go straight on. Following????

Proposed position is a 3 lane SF line. Off the grid (cars in lanes 1 and 3) all cars could have an option to break to the centre or avoid a stalled car (false start penalty) in a relatively short strech of track and making it fairer and more realisitc.

You may need to re-read it - I did!

Lars - Can I just ask what you are using to cut the track pieces? A clean cut makes for more accuracy and a better finish.

Cheers
Duncan

#24 ·
You Rule... That is some creative thinking going on there.
Always good to see someone not holding back after all its only a piece of track, nothing to loose lots to gain.

Not sure i have video of my track ( maybe some crappy short ones), lots of pics, i should add to my thread sometime.

I moved house, and can't wait to make a new track, work load with my business has left me no time so just an occasional stop by here on the forum is all the slot fix i get recently..

Look forward to stopping by this thread again soon thats for sure.

Shaunbmx

#26 ·
You have the right idea without a doubt when it comes to corner creation but lane changing is so "individual" to each lap of the race... I try to think of a layout as "telling a story" each corner designed to do "something" to to the cars to make a lap interesting... the limit with the lane changers, especially the clc's is that story is limited to a single lane and that lane may not be where the excitement is each lap, both cars may be in the other one....

You set my mind thinking about my "loft" and whether when i get up ther to make a layout where i "rout" a wide slot and drop in the "digital electronics" cut from the plastic track for the lane changers and a normal 3mm slot running into them and out of them to create more of a flow so there isn't the limitation of the designs available... you are certainly pushing the envelope using what manufactures make available to us and inspire us all...

My next layout is just for fun, analogue and will complete my wall mounted "trio"... then got a house to sell... then once the summer gets here (if ever) i will prepare the loft in the meantime i'm gonna race as much as i can on my digital layouts and see what it actually adds to the mix... not 100% certain that 4 cars on two lanes gives enough variation, your three lane corner certainly creates a great piece of trackwork that looks fab and probably is a thrill to drive... three cars heading into it neck and neck toward the finish line and it could be carnage! but thats the problem with digital itself... the car infront is a roadblock or a toyota if its just accelerating!

I dont think any manufacturer of "digital slot racing! really knows what it should bring to racing except more participants... 4 people racing is so much more fun than two but six and it becomes "deslot" hell on a small layout... think we all have loads to learn but after five years i think we have done pretty good to get what we have in SSD with PBPro, SSDC etc... now with lars on the lane changers we could be heading for version 2.0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.