SlotForum banner

It begins ... Track no.3

Tags
roughwood
16K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  Savage 
#1 ·
After having to dismantle "Hunter Valley" due to the landlord needing his house back, I found myself having to move into the only 4 bedroom place we could find in our budget.

This had no room for a track, and not that much for 3 growing kids and all there paraphernalia ! Fortunately the track found a home at the club.

Finally after three and a half years searching, we found a place with more room, and the bonus was it had a decent sized outbuilding/shed.

Having settled in, I set to cleaning out the outbuilding, which looked like it had been used as a wood workshop, and was covered from rafters to floor in sawdust.

So here we are at the beginning of track no. 3, which I will be naming "Roughwood" given the interior of the outbuilding/shed.
smile.png

gallery_3329_4991_60947.jpg

gallery_3329_4991_281491.jpg

gallery_3329_4991_128535.jpg

I wanted to have a similar layout to my very first Track "Savage Raceway", but no elevations. So I came up with the below layout.

That was done using Trackpower software and Scalextric track pieces, but this will be a routed 2 lane track and I hope to give enough lane spacing to run larger scale cars if desired
wink.png

The lane lengths should be in the region of 55ft.

The boards are 2x 1220 x 2440 (8' x 4') with a 732x1220 (2'6" x 4')extension on one end.

gallery_3329_4991_196115.jpg

See less See more
#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
A small update.

Track is now routed (and simplified a little) apart from the lane length balancing section. Although the inside lane is shorter by approx. 70 cm, it is mostly inner curves so will be a bit slower anyway. I am thinking if I add about 350mm it should be close to having the same lap times …. possibly. Maybe I am overthinking it
unsure.png
lmfao.gif

My ball of string tells me the total lane length of the outer lane is 16.5m (approx. 54ft).

Lane spacing is the same as Carrera track, and there is plenty of sliding room on the outside corners for the longest 1/32 cars on full opposite lock !

As per "Hunter Valley" the track edges will not always follow parallel to the lanes, to give the impression the cars are taking a racing line through some sections.

Looks like a visit to the DIY shop will be on the cards at the weekend for some paint
biggrin.png

gallery_3329_4991_218292.jpg

#6 ·
Some more progress, although it looks like a festive scene its not intentional !

Obviously most of the snow ... err... white paint will be painted over once I get past the next stage.

I am not looking forward to painting on the rumble strips, a painstaking task for a man of little patience such as I
tongue.png

But need must, so many hours of totrure to follow before I can make more progress.

gallery_3329_4991_119982.jpg

gallery_3329_4991_14649.jpg

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Normal household emulsion.

More specifically Homebase home of colour Slate Grey Silk for the track (be warned it needed 3 coats !) The white is Wilko One coat Matt Brilliant White.

I have match-pots I'll be using for the red on the rumble strips, and a possibly some home of colour Stone for some non track hardstanding areas (left over from a wall I painted when we moved in, and I took the shelving down to find it had been painted around) !

Beer is off limits atm fluff, as I am doing it during the day, and if I start then …. its a slippery slope
lmfao.gif

And no portable music machine, every time I get some spare cash, it goes on stuff directly related to the track
sad.png
(that reminds me, still need to source a monitor too).

#10 ·
(that reminds me, still need to source a monitor too).
For the track? Hie thee to the thrift stores. People have been dumping their 4:3 ratio displays of all sizes, and in widescreen anything below 22" seems to be going unwanted now. Often you can test well enough without a computer. When you plug them in you usually get an OSD (On Screen Display) with diagnostics, or similar. And often enough the 'No Signal' image is set to move around, so you can tell in about a minute if the pixels are essentially good.

One common lemon to avoid: Samsung 915 -- these have a nasty flaw that doesn't fail till after they warm up.

Around here (Canada, West Coast) you should be able to get something nice for $15. $20 if you're in a hurry.

#12 ·
I have had a productive last few days, and now most of the paintwork is done.

I have some grassmat to go in some areas, Thanks to CMOTD I will soon have some Armco fencing and other bits to start on adding objects.

Once I have the fencing worked out, it will be time to tape and wire :)

gallery_3329_4991_530487.jpg

gallery_3329_4991_135544.jpg

gallery_3329_4991_223414.jpg

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)

My phone didn't pick up the LED colours very well, but its red, to yellow to green, and yellow on track call/pause. thanks to Bentley and Race Cordinator for helping me suss them out
smile.png

(Click on the vimeo logo to watch a larger version)

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
I re-purposed the surplus shelving left in the shed, and some leftover mdf, to make a workbench.

gallery_3329_4991_324897.jpg

And on to the track, just homies and scenic object to add as and when. It is never going to be a scenic track, more functional with some scenery based objects
tongue.png

gallery_3329_4991_127521.jpg

gallery_3329_4991_192332.jpg

gallery_3329_4991_546306.jpg

gallery_3329_4991_584018.jpg

gallery_3329_4991_64224.jpg

gallery_3329_4991_620745.jpg

#18 ·
Oh yes rubbering is certainly needed, come on down ! It actually isn't initially as slippery as I feared, but its a long way from grippy yet
thumbsup2.gif

I might have to get 2 more tyre walls at the bottom end, it looked better filled in when I borrowed some from the top end to try, but then I'll have 4 surplus …
blink.png

#20 ·
Your a star
thumbsup.gif
PM sent.

#23 ·
You'll manage Steve I only binned it once in my 10 mins running, and that's because I was attempting to film with my phone (that bit got edited out :p)

By the time you get here there should be a bit more grip ;)

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.