SlotForum banner

My permanent digital track begins ....

106K views 234 replies 56 participants last post by  Daf55 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK so I haven't got and track on it yet, but I am so happy I finally have somewere to build a track, I couldn't contain myself from starting the thread

To some its just an old scruffy garage, to me it the beginings of slot car heaven

Having finally got an electrician to power up the garage, I got the timber ordered in and this is were I am at now:

And the planned layout, subject to testing to ensure it drives how I want, is something like this:

The size is a 6Mx 2.4M L shape at 1.2M wide, and it looks huge to me, compared to the little rug layouts I had to make do with previously

Any suggestions for names considered, currently was thinking of Thunder Raceway, but maybe thats a bit cliched ...

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks guys, really looking forward to getting stuck in (though it may be a bit slow to start with).

Bleep, its felt like forever from when I knew we were moving to getting this far, but now I am finally underway

lgl007, yes scaley digital

Umbra, I did the layout with Trackpower, then just added the other bits with paint shop

#9 ·
Congratulations on acquiring the garage and for jumping right into the project! The track plan looks fantastic - should be a lot of fun to race on. Your rendering is great, am I right in thinking that the track scenery will be based upon a modern era circuit? I'm interested in seeing your track develop, It should be a lot of fun for you.

Brad

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes, I will be using a modern theme, being my first attempt at scenery I feel that would be easier than trying to achieve an aged look !
I was thinking along the lines of an old airfield thats been bought by a very wealthy businesman, and developed into a racetrack (the backstraight being part of the old runway), unfortunatly the idea doesn't fit because airfields are very flat and dont have rockfaces and lakes nearby, unless it was a heavily bombed airfield left untouched since WW2, until he bought it

So perhaps some land that used to have a railway track many years ago that he aquired at a good price, with some old road remaining under the bridge area, then I can have some new tarmac going onto something a bit used ?

The 180 curve at the right hand side will be 10 deg banked, climbing up to the the elevated back straight. I intend to paint it to resemble the Nurburgring's carousel section.

There will only be the two levels as I dont want to get over ambitious on my fiirst project, dropping down to base level on approach to the hairpin and gravel trap.
Although I may fit a small hill/bump somewere on the lower section to add a bit more dimension.

There are so many of you guys that make the scenery so realistic, you all inspired me to want to have a pernament track and do my best.
I won't be able to hold a candle to the fabulous layouts in here, but if I can get half as good I will be very happy

But thats a little way down the line, firstly I need to get the track layed out with temporary props for elevations and be sure I like how the track drives.
I have 4 table tennis nets in the post as we speak, in order to see how they fare as catchment fences on the edges for when I get over enthusiatic

The track is designed with no mag use in mind, so I need to be sure I have enough room for edging, temporarily I will use scaley borders, but once I am happy with the track design I will match MDF up to track level in sections that will form both borders and the base for sectional scenery.

#12 ·
Love the nice smooth flowing design - I will be interested to see whether after racing you decide to smooth out any of the kinks.

Also I am wondering why the XLC's are 1 standard straight back from the corners?

Making your own borders is definitely the way to go - heaps cheaper and better result especially when you don't use magnets - with the right cars your can quite literally bounce the cars of the Scaley borders and stay in the slot. A couple of mates literally took nearly 1s off my lap record by bouncing off the borders

#13 ·
Very nice start & thanks for sharing. That long straight..... well let's just say "let it rip". The table you have built looks very good. I've got to start building my track this year as i spent the whole of last year buying track, scenery items & of course cars. I will be going for a 60s/70s look set up as my first build. I will watch your progress. Best of luck.

Regards, rooster364.

http://rooster364.webs.com/index.htm

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (GregR @ 4 Mar 2009, 01:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Love the nice smooth flowing design - I will be interested to see whether after racing you decide to smooth out any of the kinks.
Also I am wondering why the XLC's are 1 standard straight back from the corners?

I might end up putting more kinks in
I wanted to have a fast straight, and some technical bits. I compromised on the techinical sections because of other things I wanted in the design.
XLC's are placed like that to give non mag cars chance to straighten out before the sensor, so they dont miss the lane change, in the case of the end of the straight, its in the slowdown zone, having given the overtaking car time to pass the other(s) thats the thinking behind it anyway

Rooster364, I Built the table from studwork timber (63mm x38mm finished size) and is intended that I can clamber over it while working on the track, I dont fit in the lightweight catagory

Joe, your track is coming along great

I am hoping that 1eye101 gets chance to help me with some scenery when the time comes, so I don't get shown up by you all

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Minardi, Do you mean the kink after the pit exit (track runs anticlockwise) or the Banked R3 180 ?
The idea behind the banked R3's is to give you a fast drive onto the straight, though admitedly it looks a bit synthetic with a constant radius 180.

#18 ·
Yes, I mean the kink after pit exit. But now I understand why, you need a straight before the R3 banked curve. Cars will fly on that straight !

Something else, out of experience; I need a really long starting grid (1 straight between cars) and no xlc before SF. I know you are a experienced digital driver too, do you think different about that ?

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (colsy @ 4 Mar 2009, 13:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's a shame you cant extend the pitlane a little, perhaps blend it back in with single's just before the banked section.
Just a thought.
Col.

TBH I was trying to make as small a double pitlane as I could get away with, as they eat space fast !
Hence the x-over instead of a xlc in the pits, auto avoidance on exit (providing you get entry lane right) and a little more compact.

QUOTE (Minardi @ 4 Mar 2009, 13:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Something else, out of experience; I need a really long starting grid (1 straight between cars) and no xlc before SF. I know you are a experienced digital driver too, do you think different about that ?

I do agree with your thoughts, but in reality my track will have 4 people at most, and usually just 1 or 2, so I can squeeze 4 cars on the straight between the XLC and start line. (track runs anti-clockwise remember).

I probably won't get chance to do anymore work on the track until monday, hopefully then I will be able to get the track temporarily laid down.
But first I need to cut my 6mm MDF border sheets into 1200mm x 600mm sections for storage, because there is nowere to put a full sheet in the garage now ! (and I will need them in manageble sections anyways).

#20 ·
Savage,
What a great place to create your slot car heaven
Looks like you can lock yourself in and get on with it
The track plan looks realy exciting, and I am sure it will become a good run. Looks forward to see the thousands of pics to come, for us all to follow your progress!
Good luck,Per

#21 ·
Will be watching the results our your testing closely as I started out with my XLC's back from the corner for the same reasons as you and then found they worked better right at the corner as it kept deslots to a minimum.

I also found that often a 1/2 straight was not always enough after a corner to allow the cars to straighten up so you might have problems with the pit entry - if it is aproblem you can always squeeze another 1/2 in but you might need to remove the kink on the straight before the pit entry.

I think the track will be a lot of fun to race.

#22 ·
Hey Savage, good to see you're under way.
Not having much experience with digital, I won't offer any advice, but I will watch your progress!
The whole build story looks to be a good one... look forward to scenery evolving too.

Best of luck with the journey!

Does the weather get cold where you are?..., cos all that tin may keep you out of there if it does!!!
Will you be copper taping the rails?

Dick

#23 ·
Knoath:

Tin ?
No it s just the way photo looks, its concrete block walls (precast) and what looks like asbestos roof (these houses and garages were built in the 60's I believe).
It can get cold, but not really bad generally, in winter not often more than -3 or -4, but I have a couple of halogen heaters and will see how they go, I can always replace them with a fan heater if they aren't up to it.

Initially I won't copper tape, as I will hardware each track section once the track plan is finalized. The garage is dry inside, even after 30cm of snow thawing, and some 40-50 mph wind with rain, but I will be keeping an eye out for possible rail corrosion.
If I see evidence of that, I will copper tape the rails.

GregR:

Interesting, I will see how it pans out. I never had an issue with them like that when rug racing, but the cars will be moving faster on this layout.
As for the pit enty, I am not too concerned as you should be slowing on approach to pits anyway. As long as you can get in at a slower speed I would consider it as an advantage, it will enforce at least a speed restriction on entry
I will be using SSD console once its up and running so if you dont pit in time you get disqualified !

Perthor:

"Lock myself in and get on with it" yep thats hit the nail on the head

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Really like the track design, a mix of fast and technical - will be fun to race..
I'm in the process of buying a house with a similar size garage and have already claimed the garage as MINE.!! Trouble is the house needs a load of work doing so it will be a while until I get to the stage you're at. No doubt Zipp will be around to help. May even go routed?

Best of luck with the project.

As for the name, how about translating English into another language for an exotic sounding name.?
For example:-
"Autodromo di Amianto" - sounds exotic but actually means Asbestos Autodrome...

#25 ·
Hi savage, I found the best electric heaters to be the oil filled radiators. About the cheapest to run, the warmest, the most control-able, & the safest. Downside: There're expensive to buy.
Well spring is on it's way so i suppose you're not that bothered at the moment. Next winter though i hope it's of some help to you. How's the track going?

Regards, rooster364.

http://rooster364.webs.com/index.htm

#26 ·
I thought about that DJ, not the asbestos, but the conversion, as I do have a fondness for Italy and Italian things

No further movement on the track yet Rooster, will hopefully get to do a bit more on Monday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.