SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Gordon Steadman
6,931 Posts
Nice one Carver. As you know, I did this one too so when you find about doing the screen.....you can tell me! Mine is still sitting on the shelf waiting......

As a matter of interest, what wheelbase did you make it? I have the plastic kit version too but it is minute, I reckon about 1/35th. Looking at it in comparison to the GT40, it doesn't look that small, even allowing for the gap between the two.

Attachments

·
Gordon Steadman
6,931 Posts
Yes, I fear there are no shortcuts for the screen...
unsure.png

I have made a 75 mm wheelbase, hope it is right. It should be a little longer than the "normal" 151.

But I am not really a calliper guy...
smile.png

Carver
That is precisely what I made it
thumbsup.gif

I scaled up from the wheels. The kit is considerably smaller. I'm glad you did the same as I trust our eyes rather more than the kit makers.

·
Gordon Steadman
6,931 Posts
When I was looking, there were two or three different specs I found. The Model Maker drawing scaled at 75mm and that's what I used. I'm sure we had this conversation at the time and I still think that I have the scale right for the version I have modelled.

·
Gordon Steadman
6,931 Posts
Finding the true info is like trying to match the exact colours from old pics, almost impossible.
Ain't that the truth!

The Hawk kit is actually labelled 5000GT. Going by the attached, it's a centimeter too short! Maybe there were two! Or three, Bertone made one as well! Obviously, you need to match pics to specs!

Easy to get confused then.

And then 152 specs!!

Attachments

·
Gordon Steadman
6,931 Posts
Absolutely. In racing, cars are probably modified from race to race. Back then, they were much simpler and it didn't take a computer, an entire factory and a few million pounds. A mechanic with a hacksaw, a spanner and some skill would probably do the job (almost!)

Who knows where the specs come from? Someone with a tape? The original drawings? Someone's memory?

In the end, the exact scale, it seems to me, is considerably less important than that the model captures the feel of the original. On this basis, Carver's is spot on.

·
Gordon Steadman
6,931 Posts
I like that particular version as it doesn't have faired in headlights. Two fewer bits of curved glass to worry about
smile.png

·
Gordon Steadman
6,931 Posts
That version doesn't have covers!! The rod will still be good for the headlights though. I have used it for quite a few cars and it polishes out very well.

I think the screen in flat in the vertical direction so it may well be possible just to use clear packaging plastic.

·
Gordon Steadman
6,931 Posts
The reference to the 5000GT is erroneous. That was a road car, and the Allemano bodied version first appeared in September 1961.
Yup, I was aware of that but it just went to show how easy it was to grasp the wrong end of the stick.

We still have what appear to be authoritative sources saying different things.

So, in the end, I don't care! The model looks the part and it is near enough for all but those who care more for numbers than slot cars. The old digital versus analogue argument perhaps. I'll stick with the figures that fit what I've done
biggrin.png

·
Gordon Steadman
6,931 Posts
My calculator say that 2400mm / 32 is exactly 75mm and that is what both Carver and I made ours. I reckon that is good enough for me. Several different specs have been quoted but who knows or really cares as the car was continually modified during its short life!

I am certainly not going to do mine again!

Charlie did make a few 'racer' shells. I guess this was one of them. You fitted the top well, I think it comes as a complete roof in vac form.

·
Gordon Steadman
6,931 Posts
It looks a bit wee against anything!! Did your kit come with the windows cut out? I found it really strange that the back window was cut but the windscreen and side windows were not!

Hey Carver, is it finished yet? He said........ trying get back on track!

Attachments

·
Gordon Steadman
6,931 Posts
Thanks all for taking interest in this! It is all very confusing, for sure.

Today I used the calliper on the almost perfect side view in post#17.

The rims are 16", and with a little calculating I found that Phil's and Gripping Pneus' 2300 mm probably are right!
I did that as well and it came to 2370!! Somewhere in the middle then!

As far as the screen is concerned, I did it with flat stuff for the Hawk kit. Not only did it not have cutouts but there was no glass either. I had a vac formed with it but it didn't actually fit very well so the eyes crossed a bit getting a good fit. I'm sure you will do better.

·
Gordon Steadman
6,931 Posts
The shape looks spot on to me but then it looked good before. We have all discussed accuracy versus capturing the essence before. You have the essence. The wheelbase is now 1mm less than mine. We have agreed what we believe to be the right one.

I think you should now forget all that stuff and show us the finished car in all its glory.

·
Gordon Steadman
6,931 Posts
Snap!

If the clear stuff is too thick just to bend easily, I do that too. The only problem I have had is down to my impatience. Sometimes, i have put stress marks into the screen by bending too quickly or too far.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts