SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Gordon Steadman
6,888 Posts
That version doesn't have covers!! The rod will still be good for the headlights though. I have used it for quite a few cars and it polishes out very well.

I think the screen in flat in the vertical direction so it may well be possible just to use clear packaging plastic.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
The reference to the 5000GT is erroneous. That was a road car, and the Allemano bodied version first appeared in September 1961.

The breadvan Maserati was a re-built Tipo 151 as Phil stated, and had the same wheelbase as the original at 2300 mm.The info attached (from "Maserati" by Richard Crump and Rob de la Rive Box) does give the origin of the breadvan's engine as the 5000GT though, which may be the cause of the confusion.

In "Maserati, a history" by Rob Pritchard, he states that the 1962 Maserati-France Tipo 151 (the red one with white stripes) crashed at Le Mans, and was re-built for 1963 race with a shorter wheelbase and a larger engine of 4941 cc - which is the same as the 5000GT road car. This car retired in 63 but is reported to have again been re-built for 1964 for Colonel Simone of Maserati France, as the breadvan. The car was built and tested by the Maserati works, but was presumably funded by Col. Simone. It raced at Le Mans in 1964 and was crashed at the 65 Le Mans test weekend, killing "Lucky" Casner.

Research into Maserati history is a case of "here be dragons". It is said of the 250F that of the 32 built, 41 are still racing.

Keith View attachment 151.pdf View attachment 151-1.pdf

Attachments

·
Gordon Steadman
6,888 Posts
The reference to the 5000GT is erroneous. That was a road car, and the Allemano bodied version first appeared in September 1961.
Yup, I was aware of that but it just went to show how easy it was to grasp the wrong end of the stick.

We still have what appear to be authoritative sources saying different things.

So, in the end, I don't care! The model looks the part and it is near enough for all but those who care more for numbers than slot cars. The old digital versus analogue argument perhaps. I'll stick with the figures that fit what I've done
biggrin.png

·
Al Schwartz
3,392 Posts
I don't know if this will add anything to the discussion but, FWIW, here's my version of the 151/3 based on a Fitzpatrick Classic shell (he called it "1964 Breadvan")

gallery_99_85_6498.jpg

LOA 129 mm

W 56mm (over front wings)

WB 79 mm

The model was first build on a modified commercial steel anglewinder chassis (? make) fitted with a Plafit Fox motor. While a bit of a handful, it did win the first race on the then new 1/32 road course at Rad Trax in Las Vegas. It is now in pieces in a box awaiting a complete refit.

EM

·
Gordon Steadman
6,888 Posts
My calculator say that 2400mm / 32 is exactly 75mm and that is what both Carver and I made ours. I reckon that is good enough for me. Several different specs have been quoted but who knows or really cares as the car was continually modified during its short life!

I am certainly not going to do mine again!

Charlie did make a few 'racer' shells. I guess this was one of them. You fitted the top well, I think it comes as a complete roof in vac form.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Here's my Hawk model. Wheelbase is 70 mm and it looks a wee bit wee against a GT40 - I'd guess that 75m is about right.

Tire Vehicle Car Toy Hood

Andy

Attachments

·
Gordon Steadman
6,888 Posts
It looks a bit wee against anything!! Did your kit come with the windows cut out? I found it really strange that the back window was cut but the windscreen and side windows were not!

Hey Carver, is it finished yet? He said........ trying get back on track!

Attachments

·
Al Schwartz
3,392 Posts

Charlie did make a few 'racer' shells. I guess this was one of them. You fitted the top well, I think it comes as a complete roof in vac form.
Thanks. It worked out pretty well. I painted and detailed the interior, fitted the vac form with a narrow strip of carbon fiber scrim set in epoxy bridging the rear joint, masked the windows and painted. Immersion in hot water separated the parts for the rebuild.

EM.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thanks all for taking interest in this! It is all very confusing, for sure.

Today I used the calliper on the almost perfect side view in post#17.

The rims are 16", and with a little calculating I found that Phil's and Gripping Pneus' 2300 mm probably are right!

Of course not only the wheelbase decides the size, I will check up other measures as well. I may have gone a bit large over all.

I will think about it, I am not sure I will rework it. This car will only run on my home track, I can live with it, if it turns out looking good .

It is always fun to see different versions of a model. I have not seen the Fitzpatrick before but have seen the Hawk, I think that is what made me go large!
smile.png

@Phil, very kind of you! But I'm sure it will not fit, I will solve that.

Looking at the Hawk and Fitzpatrick I'd say my version ain't too bad after all!

Carver

·
Gordon Steadman
6,888 Posts
Thanks all for taking interest in this! It is all very confusing, for sure.

Today I used the calliper on the almost perfect side view in post#17.

The rims are 16", and with a little calculating I found that Phil's and Gripping Pneus' 2300 mm probably are right!
I did that as well and it came to 2370!! Somewhere in the middle then!

As far as the screen is concerned, I did it with flat stuff for the Hawk kit. Not only did it not have cutouts but there was no glass either. I had a vac formed with it but it didn't actually fit very well so the eyes crossed a bit getting a good fit. I'm sure you will do better.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
My Hawk kit came with all the windows cut out, a windscreen (but nothing else) and a standing figure. The model evolved during its production life. If 2400mm is correct then it's 1:34 - not TOO bad.

Andy

·
Registered
535 Posts
For a while I believed in the short wheelbase, but now I am back to the 75 mm...

I've seen dimensions connected to the two best reconstructions, both of them stating 2400mm as the original.

If they spent all the money on resurrection them I think it is likely that they did some serious research first.

From my point of view that's it. I take the risk of being remembered as the inventor of the1/30,8 scale!
biggrin.png

Had I been more ambitious I would have bought this book:https://www.ebay.fr/itm/MASERATI-TIPO-151-THE-LAST-MONSTER-FROM-MODENA-LIVRE-NEUF-/152739429791?hash=item238ffabd9f:g:Yt0AAOSw9GhYjN5U

But it is a lot of money for something I have not seen IRL.

Back to business. I would describe this car as a very low flat top with large wheels...

Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Tire

...So I have lowered the car quite a lot and made the top flatter. The front wings are remodelled and openings have been tidied up.

Gas Auto part Composite material Metal Automotive exterior

The characteristic small side windows are created with a thick piece of styrene, this will make a strong support for the glazing.

The rear window always seems to be open, at least at the drivers side, this was another hot cockpit.

Vehicle Tire Hood Car Wheel

Again a layer of primer and test fitting the screen to get a view of the over all shape and to see what to do next.

Wheels and arches are not yet settled.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Hood

The rear part of the car is not to bad but the front still is too clumsy. I need to lower bonnet and wings more and make the windscreen larger....and so on.

Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle Wheel

It is a wonder there was room enough for the engine, it really is low.

Opinions and suggestions are of course still welcome although I may not follow them...
smile.png

Carver

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Opinions and suggestions are of course still welcome although I may not follow them...
smile.png

Carver
I can't believe you're on the third page of this thread and I haven't stuck my oar in yet...

There are no suggestions from me just my opinion that your model-making is superb and I like the methodical way you are progressing this particular carving.

David

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
It is easy to get lost in the Maserati jungle, I often do.

So a few words to correct whatever nonsense I've said earlier in this thread and clear things out.

In the winter '63-'64 one Tipo 151 was rebuilt and turned up looking like this..

Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

...on LeMans test day. They were not allowedd to take part in the real race with that rear screen, so for the race it was rebuilt...

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

...and looked like this. In this shape it took part in three races during -64. LeMans (#2), Reims (#3) and Monthlery (#11).

The -64 car is what I try to model.

For 1965 it was rebuilt again and turned up at LeMans like this as #12.

Tire Wheel Vehicle White Car

Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

After the tragic accident on the training this is what was left.

Hope I got things right this time,,, As I have said sometimes I do not know much about racing but learn something from every build.

Now, back to the work bench!

Carver

Attachments

21 - 40 of 107 Posts