Ferrari 312B2 - Buenos Aires & Kyalami 1972
It's been a while since my last update but I finally completed another build, or rather two builds!
Two versions of the same car, namely the early 1972 Ferrari 312B2 that competed in the Argentinian and South African Grand Prix of that season. Not 100% scratch builds this time as I used the Policar white kits but still a lot of adjustments and additions needed to create realistic representations of these cars.
Ferrari entered three cars in both races for Ickx, Regazzoni and Andretti. I chose the highest finishers being Jacky Ickx who finished 3rd in Buenos Aires and Mario Andretti finishing 4th in Kyalami. The Kyalami car stands out most as it had the 'untypical for Ferrari' wide nose and this was the only meeting were they actually raced it. It was tried on more occasions (Spain, Belgium) but only in practice, not in the race so the drivers were obviously not convinced.
The 312B2 certainly lost some of its elegance compared to the original 312B from 1970, but I think they are still cool looking cars, very seventies! The B2 only had two wins (Zandvoort 1971 and Nürburgring 1972) during its lifespan but that doesn't tell the complete story as it recorded seven pole positions and seven fastest laps so the speed was certainly there. Unfortunately reliability was not that good so the Ferraris often retired while in the leading group. Another 'what if' for Ferrari...
For both cars I did the following changes compared to the white kit:
- changed the rear wheels to wider alloy wheels (the Policars are really too narrow for these cars)
- sanded down the inserts substantially so they fall deeper in the rim for a more recessed look
- added lower suspension arms at the rear and rearrenged the battery and stuff around the gearbox
- created the typical air scoops for the rear radiators
- the mirrors have supports that stand further outwards compared to the mirrors in the kit (not perfect but it works for me and they are sturdy)
- changed the drivers helmets to helmets from SRC
Specifically for the Argentina car:
- cut off a part of the nose. The Argentina version has a shorter nose with a larger 'mouth', probably to improve cooling
- changed the side panels of the rear wing. They were more pointier shaped in Buenos Aires.
- added a tube that goes from the top of the rear wing to the gearbox, probably some sort of 'breather pipe'.
I had a good part of the decals covered by what I had from various suppliers but the race numbers, most noticeably the Argentina style YPF numbers and a few others I had to make myself. Another typical detail of the Argentina car is the absence of the Scuderia badges on the cars. Someone must have forgotten them!
As always this took me a lot longer than I originally anticipated but that happens when you start to add detail.
Anyway, I'm happy with the end result. Here's an overview of the building process and some atmospheric action shots.
Thanks for watching.