SlotForum banner
61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
Currently looking at what I could do with my existing space and an additional 6 pack of R3.

Inspired by some other designs I came up with this. I'm still working on it, there are a couple of things I'm not completely happy with just yet. It would be much easier if I had a handful of R4 track pieces but since I have quite a number of R2, maybe I can cut some spare R2/30 pieces in half to make a few R2/15 a bit like this...

Product Font Urban design Engineering Technology

Or just use R4 if I can find a few of them...

Slope Font Line Asphalt Urban design

Or this... Not sure yet.

Product Font Line Technology Parallel

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
I like the last one of these because I think it flows better.
The only thing I would change is to move the pitlane entrance more to the left so to give a full straight after the corner.
I would modify the last corner to add a curved lane changer as the last ditch to bring the cars into the inner lane for pit stops.

About carrera angles of radii: I am coming to hate their choices (or lack) of angles. The R2 and R3 should have also the option for 15 degree.
Especially if you are doing a 4 laner, if you do not want to cut track pieces the only option you have is to go for 30 degree minimum.

Reactions: Slotspeed

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Thanks Grunz, appreciate the thoughts. Agree the pitlane area could use further work. Yes, the Carrera geometry design decisions can be quite annoying!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Here is my final attempt for a little while. Would need to resort to cutting an R3/30 in half to make two R3/15's for this one. I did try swapping that out for two R4/15's in the designer but it was easier said than done to make it all fit. And the overall layout would end up bigger but would also reduce the straights a bit so two compromises to fit a space similar to what I am working with here. Having said that, this overall design should be fairly scalable to larger dimensions, I've seen much larger iterations of it in other places. Lane lengths in this case are approximately 14m.

Product Urban design Font Asphalt Engineering

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
Excellent.
You might find hard to press the lc button at the right time for changing lane instead of being sucked in the pitlane.
Would it be possible to move the single lane changer just before the pit exit so that at least you will have a full straight (where the S/F line is) between the pit entrance and the single lane changer?

Reactions: Slotspeed

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure it could be arranged to something like that. That would also bring the CU back to a more convenient position for use. Will be a while before I can try it out. Envisage a series of simple upsided down U shaped bridge support sections, with some thin MDF on top to hold them together, set the spacing and act as a surface to support the overpass. Best to keep as simple as possible since I might need to change it up to get elevation correct, and depending on testing etc.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
An idea I had for expanding from an existing collection of standard R1/60 curves and straights (depending on how many R1/60 and straights you have on hand) and adding a pack of R2 and a pack of R3. It also requires (x2) R4/15 pieces, which may be difficult to obtain depending on the used market as they normally come in a pack of 12. But you could also substitute for the left over R3/30 piece instead, by using some hobbyist skills and cutting it in half, and making up the extra two electrical connecting tabs with strips of copper or some other suitable conductive metal, even a strip of nickel coated tin can cut with tinsnips. Some keen skill required for the work around, but I'm sure most hobbyists would be able to manage, I have cut several pieces and rejoined them this way. I think swapping the 1/4 straights for 1/3 straights might work better in this case, see second image below. Note that I have not driven this, it is something to try, and maybe fiddle with, but a possible starting point. I can make a slightly better flowing version of it by using an extra two R2's and deleting one of the R1/60's, see also layouts posted earlier in this thread, it all depends on what you already have, availability in your area and how much you are willing to spend.

Urban design Font Line Slope Asphalt

Infrastructure Urban design Line Asphalt Font

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm working with a rather confined space... approximately 10x4 at the moment. Here's one I'd like to try when I can eek out a couple extra feet.
13.7m / 44.9ft equal lanes. Elevation changes are key for such confined space. (I was experimenting with using the starting grids as indicators of elevation changes)

World Line Urban design Font Parallel

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's a track that I just finished setting up yesterday and refined a bit today (the CU and straight to its right swapped places with the double lane change.
12.3m / 40ft equal lanes

Slope World Font Urban design Rectangle

The nested R1 by turn one is pit lane, the idea for which I think came from this thread actually. The pit lane entrance is hidden under the R3 curves by the CU. I ended up modifying the pit lane entrance to include the fuel sensor so I could remove the fuel adapter track, which is required by Smartrace for fueling. I don't love entrance to the last turn. It's pretty sharp and the inside lane is high risk for deslot.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Josh, have a look at dingleberry’s layout here (scroll to post #12)... Confined space tracks for Carrera

I also have some layout ideas with around the same space constraints that you have, I’ll have a look in my archives and post here later. How many R3 and R2 do you currently have?

I had a layout with awesome flow, was about 11’ but similar width to your space. Only thing was that the last corner was obscured but it was kinda fun to see the headlights appear from under the overpass, not so great for racing though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I saw Dingleberry's layout. I think this was partially inspired by his.

I'm going to stick with this one for a little bit. I might put a piece of tape on the inside lane coming into the turn to reduce speed. I'm just racing with my kids basically so it's no big deal. I've come up with a slightly different layout that softens the curve that I may try at some point.

I have 12 R2 and 4 R3 at the moment. I'd like to add a few more R3 and some R4 to the inventory at some point.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here is an approximation of Dingleberry's layout with an added pit lane and probably a straight or two added since it goes about 3.5m / 11.4ft.
Looks fun. I've added it to my list of tracks.

Human body Rectangle Urban design Art Font

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
Here is an approximation of Dingleberry's layout with an added pit lane and probably a straight or two added since it goes about 3.5m / 11.4ft.
Looks fun. I've added it to my list of tracks.

View attachment 293905
I do not think that this is even physically possible with carrera track.
Either you simplify your layouts or better looking for scalextric as an alternative track system to fit in such a small place.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I do not think that this is even physically possible with carrera track.
Either you simplify your layouts or better looking for scalextric as an alternative track system to fit in such a small place.

I appreciate your input, but I'm not sure what you're referring to about it not being possible with Carrera. It's basically the track at the above link. The elevations in the layout aren't accurate, so maybe that's what you mean?

I'm invested in Carrera. I'm not going to change products at this point. I'm fine running the tracks the way I do at this point in the space I have available at the moment. I don't mind complicated short tracks. It's not the r wide open racing of many with Carrera, but I'm okay with that.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
A bit different to dingleberry’s layout but you did say it was an approximation. The R3 pieces you have shown as an overpass I think would need to go underneath. I have some designs that are 4 1/2’ by 11’ would they be of interest to you? One of them I ran for a while and it was great until two toddlers climbed onto the overpass. That’s why I decided to run a flat layout for the last couple of years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think the R3 to straight to R1 should actually be overpass since the R2 on the right is a high bank curve. The R1 curve is also an overpass in his photo. I wasn't going for elevation accuracy since I was just trying to see what it looked like on paper.

Yes, I'd be interested in your designs that are 4 1/2 x 11'. I am always messing around with layouts and love to see options for inspiration.

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts

I appreciate your input, but I'm not sure what you're referring to about it not being possible with Carrera. It's basically the track at the above link. The elevations in the layout aren't accurate, so maybe that's what you mean?
I am talking about the way the track loops around that straight where there is the pit lane exit. However, as you said, the elevations are not correct so it might be the case that loop is there by mistake.

Reactions: iamjosh

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, I think it is more like this.
Urban design Font Slope Diagram Pattern

This isn't actually to far off from the layout I am running today. It's a little longer, so the pit lane (that I added in this layout - it is not in Dingleberry's photo) entry is not blocked.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts