SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 399 Posts

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Tonight's viewing BBC4, tomorrows viewing BBC4, Wednesday's viewing BBC4, Thursday, I think you get the Idea. Apart from Match Off The Day and F1 I don't watch much on the "entertainment" channels these days. Just wish they didn't repeat so often.

Just have Freeview and pay for Now TV when I need to.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
We must be generating more electricity from renewable sources then from nuclear gas and any other non renewable source here in the UK going by the number of energy companies that are now supplying renewable only electricity.

LED bulbs do have an on/off life but it's normally so high that it doesn't really matter.

I'm slowly converting to a smart home and I think I will in the end save money but only if I live to be the world's oldest man. So I'm writing the capital outlay off.

Just how much of the energy I'm saving is being used by all the smart switches and the hubs and other devises is questionable. So far I've changed the lights over to Philips Hue only because I can get remote dimmer switches for them, the dear lady can't get the Echo or Echo dot to respond to here most of the time. We have the living room light slowly get dimmer as the evening goes by and when we turn the lights on they start at their last brightness level and a lot of the time we don't turn them back on full.

The smart sockets and extension leads are definately saving us money as things that would be left in standby are now turned off. Although I probably used more energy during the summer as we set the fan to come on at a set temp. and off when below another so it got more use than before.

Next up will be a smart thermosat for the heating and then smart thermostatic valves, which will probably never pay for them self, but if the energy bill goes down I'll be happy.

Does this make us Green? Going by our energy bill I'd say a definate no.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I had a Renault a good few years ago with the lights and wiper levers the wrong way round but finally got used to it. For the last 15 years I have had Kia Picanto's. The first one which I had for just under 14 years also had the leavers the wrong way round, think it is a far eastern thing. No problems until I wanted to give someone a reaction flash of the lights and I would clean the windscreen instead. My new Picanto has the leavers the "correct" way around and guess what, when I do a reaction light flash I clean the windscreen instead.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
A couple of songs that the Beeb didn't ban in the late 60's and early 70's have always surprised me.

In 1972 they banned C Moon by Wings but not Walk on The Wild Side by Lou Reed and in the late 60's broadcast what would become the Lemon Song and later released it on CD. Check out the lyrics on line. All this at a time of high censorship. Did the Beeb not understand the meaning of these??

I have always thought the best form of censorship is the channel change or off buttons. Just because I don't approve doesn't mean everyone disapproves.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
No easter eggs will be somewhere 26th or 27th December, Cream eggs always delivered before Xmas.

3 days a week I leave work about 11.10 to 11.20PM and have a journey of about 11 minutes, 12 with bad traffic lights. On a Saturday night this increase by 25% to about 14-15 minutes as no one wants to do more than 27mph, it's all a 30 limit. There are 3 speed cameras along the route and you can be sure we go through them all at about 20mph. Are they all afraid of being stopped by the police?? I just set my speed limiter and drive to this when I can, can't remember the last time I slowed for a speed camera unless forced to.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
In Singapore I saw the only solution was to hand them a phone or tablet. Really? 2 to 3 year old kids in a pram with a device in their hands? Wonder what kind of people these kids will grow up to?
In a recent BBC program on young children they found that to ones who used tablets / phones from a very young age (think the oldest was about 3yrs) developed brain functions such as motor skills a lot earlier and faster than those that just had traditional toys. This did not appear to be the results they expected.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Can't remember the web site now but I clicked through to amend the cookies and all the advertising cookies had a tick box next to them. Could I amend any of these, NO!!. At this point there was no option but to accept all the cookies and as I had already clicked into the site I had accepted to have cookies.

What is the point of having an option to amend cookies that doesn't let you amend anything. Probably just there to meet the current legal requirements.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Not just oranges, we only saw nuts at Xmas and dates, Xmas was special then because so many thing only appeared at Xmas. Never had turkey any other time of year.

What's the betting easter eggs are in the shops on Boxing day
grump.gif

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
No more driving to fast for me, one piece of new tech I think is great is the maximum speed setting control on my new car. Can't get on with the cruise control, i just don't feel like I'm driving and where does the right foot go.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I was reading an online article, probably BBC website, that raised the point that a lot of the alternatives to plastic are less eco friendly. A lot of the recycleable plastics need extra energy to produce the reusable product. Paper while fully recyclable needs to be shipped and the processed as does glass. Forgetting the landfill and other problems with plastic the total C02 usage is a lot less that a lot of the alternatives.

So are we court between a rock and a hard place with plastic usage?

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Be thankful for the dings the alternative would probably be a message saying please fasten seatbelt before you can start the engine.
biggrin.png

Going back to the recycling, one thing I forgot from the articale was that if supermarkets starting using alternatives to plastic food packing the "fresh" life of the food would be reduced increasing the amount of food wasted. At least Tesco have dropped best before dates on some of it's fresh fruit and veg. It would seem that there are people out in the big wide world who won't eat anything that has gone past it's best before date.
ohmy.png
I wonder if they now eat the food even if it's gone bad as there is no date on it.
banana.gif

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
The one that always puzzles me is then doing anything with tools you put one down on the floor, so it's within arms reach, you don't move at all then when you go to pick it up it's vanished
grump.gif
. When the jobs done there it is again
ohmy.png

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
My take on the "Will of the People" is when about only part of the population vote on something and of these the total vote for is less than 50% of the total population. So the will of the people is a minority of the population wanting something but only if it agrees with the will of the powers that be, otherwise the will of the people is with the other majority.

I can never understand how even a 52% of the vote on a 72% turn out can be a majority. Surly to be a majority it has to be over 50% of the voting population. It really gets my goat when a minority vote is described as an over wallming majority.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Last time I renewed my UK driving licence I only got 7 years for my money.

As part of their last cost saving Tesco closed a lot of fresh food counters that didn't have enough trade. But then if I lived in St Ives, or near any other fishing port, why would I got to the supermarket to buy "fresh" fish which has been from the docks, possible to market, to the distribution centre and then to the shop. Are there many fishing ports left these days?

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
We have a cycle path that runs for most of the seafront, with a gap in the middle where most of the people are. That part is a shared area, great fun playing dodge the day tripper. But I digress my gripe is that cyclists tend to be a minority in the cycle path, you come across (run down) mainly joggers, skateboarders and good hlp us dog walkers. A couple of years ago where the track goes past the posher part of the town I was confronted by a lady walking 2 dogs coming towards me. Would she get out of the cycle track? Well yes in the end but only after I had nearly hit one of the dogs and had to stop. If looks could kill I wouldn't be here now. I now have a 120+ decibel air horn on the bike and make good use of it.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
If the route is on the highway (road) and has a solid line then it is not part of the highway and vehicles should not enter it. If the line is a broken one then vehicles should not enter it unless they can't avoid it. If the route is part of the footpath it will either have a marking in the shape of a cycle in which case it is only for cycles or it will be marked with a cycle and person in which case the area is shared, this may also be in the form of a sign.

It makes more sense to have the footpath between the road and cycle route as pedestrians will be more likely to cross the road at any point so don't have to cross the cycle route and it also means the people with sight problems don't have to worry about crossing the cycle route and it saves the council money as the don't have to install as many tactile paving slabs at crossing points. Although the cycle route should be marked with tactile paving so those with sight problems know it is there.

Our seafront route is between the road and footpath and people crossing the road don't bother to look as the cross the cycle route most of the time and look really surprised when you just miss them but never say sorry. I wonder how many of the just walk out onto the road without checking for cars, certainly not the ones that are still alive.

Some people, correction lots of people, get confused with roundabouts no matter how long they have been using them and don't get me started on people using mini roundabouts. Roundabouts have give way markings not stop markings so why do so many people insist on stopping when the is no other vehicle in sight.
censored.gif

1 - 20 of 399 Posts