SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
QUOTE (Dopamine @ 30 Apr 2016, 21:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>"From the get go" instead of "Start"
"I'm giving it 110%". Innumerate w**ker.
"I'm going to smash it" when referring to doing something successfully.
People who are too easily offended. I'm with teddyt on that one.
The BBC's political correctness and diversity targets. Whatever happened to giving jobs to the person who'd be best at it?
Female cycling commentators commentating on men's events.
Female cycling commentators.
Female commentators. I love females, but if I have to listen to one more shrill female voice getting hyper-excited about sport, I'll be way more than a grump.
The ubiquity of Clare Balding.

You've obviously never endured Eurosport's World Super Bike Commentator Tom Gaynor
: I wish would tell him that Leon Haslem is pronounced "HAZ- LAM" or "HAZ-LIM" ...or how about Ant & Dec bombarding the airwaves?

My real pet-peeve (today at least
) ... people who wait for a "nicer"shade of green at traffic lights..... How else do you explain it?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
QUOTE (gordonzz @ 1 May 2016, 15:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>shakespear .... william soddin' shakespear.... I am fed up to the back teeth hearing about him! I am close to lobbing something very heavy at the tv/radio/'pooter or whatever device spews his name in my direction. fair enough , he wrote some stuff...then died...400 years ago...GET OVER IT!!!

How about people that don't appreciate Shakespeare?
The man who stated "Love runs to love like school boys from their books" can't be all bad
.... On a Shakespeare related peeve : I walked out on a very amatue "production" of Romeo And Juliet : it was set in the modern era and was intended to resemble the telly programme Shameless!
the famous "balcony scene " featured the actress on a step ladder (it's even worse than it seems ) ..... "This is a load of 'botox' .... " I said blirted out as I stormed out during the interval (well something that sounds a little like the word "botox"
.... there you have it : Poor reditons of classics , Queen & Adam Lambert spring to mind

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The Jeremy Kyle show!
... a load of worthless low-lifes shouting abuse at each other while that smug piece of &#128169; rants while he puts petrol on the fire and feeds the bear-pit....anything with Simon Cowell.
. Television has the ability to educate, entertain and inform, at it's best it can do all three at once ; Mary Beard programmes are as good example as any
... What do we get ? A pile of &#128169;&#128169;&#128169;.....

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
QUOTE (scuderia_turini @ 1 May 2016, 16:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was going to ignore this thread but I'll just pop in this once to say that something I find annoying is the increasing amount of content on this Forum that is not related to slot-cars.

Leo

Well, Leo, here's a "slot related " rant: The fact that you can buy any modern Le Mans prototype. .... as long as it's an Audi R18

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Once great rock bands that are pale imitations of their former selves but keep on touring "for the fans" &#127928;&#127932;&#127911;&#127908;
..... Queen are the best (or should I say worst ) example of this ,
but The Who and AC/DC aren't far behind

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Good news for all GOGS ( if such a thing can truly exist )
Robot Wars is back on the telly : Tonight 8:00pm
My own favourite house robot is Matilda , sad old git that I am I have a soft spot for dinosaurs
.... I'm not all about 1/32 scale toy cars

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
My latest peeve? Self proclaimed "experts" on breakfast telly !
Sky News seem to be the worst, with strong competition coming from BBC
Today I've had to suffer the "wisdom" of a "parenting expert"
.... any bets that she has no kids?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Very true, teddyt, we all know that they get their stock as freebies and have the benefit of reduced business rates.
Trouble is if charity shops vanished the high street would resemble a ghost town &#128123;&#128561;

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Celebrity culture (now there's a contradiction in terms)
Why should we be bombarded with talentless, witless Z-listers every time we watch the telly, listen to the radio or read a newspaper / magazine?
With all the up-coming 'Christmas specials'
it's only going to get worse. ❗

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Shades of the line in the Pink Floyd song: " I got thirteen channels of &#128169; on the TV to choose from"
... OK, nowadays it's more like 200, and it's still all rubbish!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Well said, gordonzz, if we go down his road of forensically analysing historical songs, where will it end? "Goosy,Goosy Gander" is about murdering and old man and then dumping this body in the local duck pond because he "..would say his prayers.."
Both Bohemian Rhapsody and Tom Jones' Delilah are about 'fessing-up to a murder..Agggghhhh ban them !!!!

The persecuted slaves composed a brilliant song in order to brighten their spirits; about 200 years later the England Rugby team adopted it as an anthem.
Is any of that such a bad thing? I think not.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I think I've mentioned here before about retailers who ask "Can we e-mail you a copy of the receipt?".......... I was in Argos yesterday, and they've started doing it now too. :grump:
I ordered a T-shirt from Clinton Enterprises (nothing to do with either the former US president or the card company) and they basically told that if I did not provide an Email address the order could (or would) not be processed. The modern age, eh?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
That's Star Wars isn't it?
Bingo! Jedism is a recognized religion .,...
In the Mortal Engines film & books the man who is credited with (literally) putting London in motion, Nicholas Quirk is declared a god.
In the prequel series of novels there is a cult of St Kylie; in which priestesses wear "ceremonial hot pants" ... Basically dystopian sci-fi with a sly wink ;)

How this world is heading, you never know :p

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Hmmmm? So, @#*π was surprised that people actually lock their front door? .... OK? ... As regards to the fact that she apparently expected to just walk in I shall not even go there !

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I get irked when celebrities organise a charity event, (nothing wrong with that in itself) but when the money is handed over it's a case of, "Look what HE/SHE has given to this worthy cause!!!"

It's easy to be generous with someone else's money I think that we can all agree to THAT !!!!

Reactions: StuBeeDoo

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I just keep thinking of the line in the Pink Floyd song on The Wall album, "...I've got thirteen channels of [email protected]#t on the TV to choose from..."

OK, in the here and now it's actually more than 113, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I think that you're on to something, Mickey. Solving the problem of plentiful, affordable electricity that doesn't damage the planet is easier said than done.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Nuclear power for all the "renewable" hype can hardly be described as "green & environmentally friendly" and brown coal is little more than glorified peat! :(

Wind farms are too weather dependant, and solar panels only work in daylight. Nevertheless they both do have a part to play.

In my opinion electric cars currently lack the necessary range (basic performance is fine) and if everyone plugs in their cars overnight, what happens to "off peak" uasge? ... I feel a massive big spike is what!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
On the topic of LED bulbs, I have converted all the lights in my house to LED and it has made a worthwhile difference, but I'd be a liar if I described this a life changing.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Pop songs are a minefield, Stuart. Both the Tom Jones hit "Dililah" and Queen's "Bohiemian Rhapsody" are about 'fessing up to murders!

Stoke City fans may remove the murder element from "Delilah" but replace it with an innuendo. ;) :p

As an American historian said, "Are we going to tear down every statue and burn every book?" ... Pointing out that book burning has an unsavoury history to put it mildly.

It's a well known saying that those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

Apologies for getting too dark ....

1 - 20 of 96 Posts