SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
David H
4,301 Posts
"From the get go" instead of "Start"
"I'm giving it 110%". Innumerate w**ker.
"I'm going to smash it" when referring to doing something successfully.
People who are too easily offended. I'm with teddyt on that one.
The BBC's political correctness and diversity targets. Whatever happened to giving jobs to the person who'd be best at it?
Female cycling commentators commentating on men's events.
Female cycling commentators.
Female commentators. I love females, but if I have to listen to one more shrill female voice getting hyper-excited about sport, I'll be way more than a grump.
The ubiquity of Clare Balding.

·
David H
4,301 Posts
Be careful what you wish for!

Remember that you were once that age, and remember too that one day you'll be old and those "feral little illegitimate wastes of dna" will be the ones you rely on to run our shops, hospitals, schools etc. Alienate them at your peril. What goes around comes around, as they say.
tongue.png

·
David H
4,301 Posts
picture the scene...im on my knees in our bedroom
Very briefly an image flashed before my eyes as I imagined the scene. It had nothing to do with painting and quite a lot to do with Mrs zz. Fortunately, or maybe not, your last sentence cleaned up my imagination...

·
David H
4,301 Posts
But it's not the system which is at fault in the UK, it's the lack of money, and that's a political choice.
As someone who has spent a combined total of almost 3 years out of the last 16 as an inpatient in hospital, with little to do but observe and experience the system, and many, many more days as an outpatient, I can tell you that money, or the lack of it, is not the primary problem for the NHS. Bureaucracy and part-time workers are a greater problem.

Bureaucracy as a problem is self-explanatory. Part-time working to a significant degree suits the individual who's working part-time, but rarely suits the patients, wards or services that require continuity of care and expertise.

Claiming that money will solve the problem is foolish. Money might help a little, but most of it will simply fund the inefficiencies in a more lavish style.

·
David H
4,301 Posts
The tomatoes broke the trades descriptions act. Tasteless and tough, obviously force ripened and certainly not suitable for eating raw.
I bought six tomatoes from Tesco three months ago. They resembled tomatoes in that they were red and round, but the taste showed that that's where the similarity stopped. I cooked five, but as an experiment kept one in the fridge to see what happened to it.

This is what it looks like today: still red, round and firm. It's an immortal ball of chemical science masquerading as food. What the hell do the growers do to it to make it remain entirely unchanged for three months?

Helmet Peach Sugar substitute Staple food Carmine

Attachments

·
David H
4,301 Posts
Ice cream, which I'm certain is a crop harvested in winter, remains tasty in summer, so why can't tomatoes hatched in summer still be tasty in winter? After all, chicken nuggets taste the same throughout the year and they're grown from seed. Similarly with vine grown sausages. No wonder some of today's children are confused about the origin and seasonality of food.

·
David H
4,301 Posts
1) Lane discipline. I know I've done this one before, but for the first hour or so of today's trip I counted the lane-hoggers. I lost count just after 30. That's an average of one for every two miles travelled. ........And I really don't want this to sound sexist, but the vast majority of them were women in A- or B-segment cars, driving at roughly 65mph. One was a young lass driving a Citroen C1 in lane 3(!!!) on the M1.
Must be different were you live, because down here most of those problems are caused by elderly BMW X3 drivers.

·
David H
4,301 Posts
I heard a lawyer speaking on national radio that she wanted police pursuits to stop immediately because of all the young people being killed when they crash.
Perhaps they should train the police drivers better so that they don't crash in the first place.

Reminds me of a crash I was involved in many years ago as a racing cyclist. Out training one winter's evening with roughly 15 other cyclists, dressed like Christmas trees in reflective stuff and lights, riding two-abreast as we always did because that way we were far more visible to motorists than we would be riding in a single line, a police car decided to overtake us and then promptly pull in to a petrol station right in front of us. Trouble is, the police driver underestimated the speed we were travelling at (somewhere between 25 to 30mph) and the 4 riders at the head of our group ploughed into the side of the police car. The police driver (female, although that's probably irrelevant) was subsequently prosecuted for, and convicted of, careless driving.

I don't know what it's like in New Zealand, but in my part of the UK, Sussex, the police appear to have abandoned any form of policing other than persecuting motorists.

·
David H
4,301 Posts
Yes, I was being sarcastic, although there was an element of truth within.

I lived in London for many years and know of too many innocent bystander injuries where it's been the police car that's crashed. Better trained than average the police may be, but that doesn't make them infallible or brilliant, as some of them seem to believe they are.

·
David H
4,301 Posts
I've thought for a long time that the best way to improve drivers' attention and reduce accidents would be to abandon the current obsession with speed and instead fix a sharpened 9 inch steel spike in the centre of every car's steering wheel, pointing directly at the chest of the driver. I'm pretty sure that would instantly make us all pay proper attention to our driving.

It would make the roadside casualty boards and newspaper headlines much more amusing to read too. "Only 48 skewerings this week!"

·
David H
4,301 Posts
Telephoned a car dealership to enquire about a new car to replace the one I had stolen.
Er, am I missing something? Why not just steal another one?

Changed car insurance policy from stolen car to it's replacement.
Right, I'm definitely confused now. Why did you insure a car you'd stolen?

·
David H
4,301 Posts
Whilst I sympathise with your feelings about your relationship, or lack thereof, with your biological father, I think you'll live much more peacefully if you learn not to want to correct, or take offence at, what is almost certainly just people using a common description for a father with no intention to cause you any offence or hurt whatsoever. Life isn't fair or kind, but it is what it is. Peace of mind doesn't just happen, it needs to be worked at.

Best wishes,

(Agony) Aunt David
smile.png

·
David H
4,301 Posts
20 degrees? That's unnecessary masochism.

My bathroom is set at 27°C and the rest of the house not much lower. I figure that a nice warm house is a luxury I can now justify after too many years of watching the pennies and freezing as a result. It'll dent my children's inheritance somewhat, but at least I'll die warm!

·
David H
4,301 Posts
You are so right about dog owners assuming everyone loves them as much as they do. Drives me mad as I can't stand dogs. The only things worse are horses, or rather, their riders.

It seems so simple to me: if you can't or won't control your dog or horse in a shared environment, take it somewhere where you don't have to share the space with anyone. Preferably a butchery.

·
David H
4,301 Posts
Why is there more Random capitalisation creeping in to Posts?
Woodworm?

Why do You assume it's Random? And creeping? I thought it was bold Attempt by the little Buggers to further rot the content of Slotforum. Without solid posts, most things Fall down.

·
David H
4,301 Posts
I do wonder where this 'the way I do it is the only right way' bit comes from. It seems everywhere.
It's a worrying trend. What the population at large really thinks has barely changed, but those thoughts are being expressed more privately. Many shy away from expressing strong opinions for fear of being labelled an 'ist of one sort or another by the shouty, intolerant, every-opinion-other-than-mine-is-wrong, self-righteous minority who've been given an overly loud voice by the advent of social media and the internet. Trial by mob. Guilty, but of nothing more serious than holding and expressing an unpopular view.

It's evolving into an unfortunate repression of free speech, but whereas we can rise up and revolt against state sponsored repression, how do we revolt against the mob?

·
David H
4,301 Posts
Christmas presents. I've evolved a simple, successful and cheap-for-the-giver solution. And I like Smarties.

I've given up saying that I don't want or need anything and being told in return that I must, instead responding to the "what would you like" question thus: "A smile, and if you really must buy something, Smarties."

Christmas for me is now a festival of smiles from everyone dear to me, plus half a ton of Smarties. Yum yum!

Food Colorfulness Ingredient Mixture Cuisine

Attachments

1 - 20 of 90 Posts