SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 472 Posts

·
Gordon Steadman
7,020 Posts
Myself when I am stupid enough to say "no problem love, I'll come and keep you company".

Ronnie is a pro gardner and therefore has an interest in all things green and horticultural. I mow the grass.

She was helping a friend out yesterday with an open gardens day. So I sat there all day seeing garden enthusiasts talking about things with latin names. The wind was howling but these are outdoor types so they didn't notice.
They provided lunch which might have made the day more acceptable. hah! English salad! Half a tomato, three slices of cucumber, a slice of chicken and some wilted lettuce. If it hadn't been for the three varieties of cake after I would have ended it there and then.

So:

Me.
My wife.
Gardens.
Gardeners.
Wind and the outdoors generally.
English salad.

Spoiled the whole thing with great cake and some cats that enjoyed playing with me. A few scratches here and there but that's just cat stuff :)

·
Gordon Steadman
7,020 Posts
I'm a DG today - double grump.

1. Consumer choice. Went shopping this morning for our monthly basics session. Walked into this barn that stretches as far as the eye can see. Why the hell do we need to have to choose between 50 kinds of soap? Soap is soap, all the additives are just window dressing. 50 types of canned fish. Only three are needed. Expensive, reasonable and for the rest of us. So it goes on, row upon row of wasted effort just to keep people in work.

2. Treats! Just occasionally we decide to have a wee treat. Mostly we feed ourselves from the garden and our food is always very fresh and flavourful. So we decided that chocolate bars sounded good for a change. First time in a year I think. SNICKERS! That was noise they made as they poured whatever they use to sweeten them into the mix. They are no longer sweets, they are sicklies!! I can still taste the foul stuff after having eaten our mid day meal. I looked around the supermarket and the average backside and gut would have trouble getting through the entrance doors. maybe they all eat Snickers or similar regularly.

Oh good grief!

·
Gordon Steadman
7,020 Posts
My wife dragged me out into the sun today to find out what bowls was all about. A couple of our friends indulge.

We indulged for about twenty minutes before I decided that painting the ceiling and watching it dry was about twice as exciting and three times as satisfying. Not only do you have to roll balls about in the sunshine but you have to wear these white clothes and special footware. Life is too short. Give me stuff the moves above snail pace.

To do this I missed the GP and all the excitement of two Mercs colliding!!

At least I got an ice cream!

·
Gordon Steadman
7,020 Posts
QUOTE (Ade @ 15 May 2016, 20:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi
Come on Gus what about the sun tan &#128526;

I don't need a suntan. Ronnie does the garden, I'm an indoors man. Work to the house and track etc. My delicate lily white skin suffers beneath that round yellow hot thing. Quite why I decided to live down here I just don't know, what was wrong with Siberia anyway?

·
Gordon Steadman
7,020 Posts
QUOTE (Lone Racer @ 15 May 2016, 20:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Guszzz, I watched the opening of the race. IT MADE MY DAY. Two overpaid clowns in over priced German Taxies wrecked each other. You missed a real treat.
It inspired me to go down into my "CAVE" and retreive a couple of bottles of some crappy French wine and indulge myself before mounting my ride on mower and blasting hell out of grass and French Dandilions growing all around my CHEATAU . The French name for a massive load of aincent carp buildings.

[email protected]!!

Mowin' the grass on a sunday afternoon!! I'll tell your Mairie about you!

Was fun though. Watched the coming together on-line. Nice that an 18 kid (who is going on 70) won the race - oh sorry....a bit off base for this thread. I thought it was terrible and what is the world coming to etc when a snot nosed kid blah blah.......

·
Gordon Steadman
7,020 Posts
I don't hate it but I no longer feel I'm missing too much if I don't see a race. Certainly most of the fun seems to have gone out of it. Too much money, big business and egos these days.

It wasn't like that in my day I can tell you!

·
Gordon Steadman
7,020 Posts
Never had any hero's! But I used to like Graham Hill when all my mates were Clark fans. Proper stiff upper lip Englishman! Probably waxed the moustache!

It's easy for us old gits to dislike people like Hamilton because he fits in with this self regarding mind set that seems to prevail. Constant selfies for gawds sake. Appearance is all. Bah humbug!

We have a mirror in the house somewhere but I'm not sure where it's hidden. Don't really want the fright.

·
Gordon Steadman
7,020 Posts
Gawd yes, the damned beeps! This Audi is the first car I've had that talks to me in beep! Low on petrol, low on screen wash, window open, door open, you name it and it's far too loud. My neighbour three doors down knows I've left the door ajar. And...you can't switch it off!!

Back to a nice modest classic car next time I think, that knows its place.

·
Gordon Steadman
7,020 Posts
Funerals!!

Got back in my usual bad mood having sat through all the usual rot. I can just about take the hope of everlasting life but it's the effect in this one that really pisses me off. Firstly the poor family, three daughters and a son, baring their soul in public, crying out loud as they try and say something meaningful about their mum. I don't need to hear all this. We all have our private memories and all the sharing in the world isn't going to make other people's experiences real to me. Rubbish about 'closure' just makes me weep.

AND..... what a waste of good wood. Not sure if the coffin actually gets burnt or sold out the back door to the dodgy funeral parlour down the road but if they do get burnt, it's a criminal waste.

I've told Ronnie that when I go, its a plastic bag or cardboard coffin and she can bury the ashes under a nice oak sapling. If they allow it, just the remains would be fine but the soil in the garden is a bit shallow - on chalk - so digging a suitable hole might be too difficult. NO public funeral. If she wants to celebrate, have a drink and a few friends round.

Actually, I'd love to be able to watch the queue. Ronnie is the only woman shaped female around here. Most are up for a part in the new version of The Blob! I get used to other old men looking at her and then their wives and you can see the mind working! I've already warned her about one or two of the men and she is well aware of their intentions. Must be fun to have that effect at 63 years old!!

That bit I'm not so grumpy about

1 - 20 of 472 Posts