SlotForum banner

Targa Strada Del Vino

71K views 189 replies 46 participants last post by  Noobdelux 
#1 ·
Hi girls and boys, ordered wood today for something that might look like the drawing below sooner or later. Would like to hear some of your thoughts and fears about the new thing before starting the router. It is thought to be a targa/streettrack, maximally estimated elevation is up to 50cm (About 1.5ft) having a bridge and a tunnel and of cause lots of scenery. The digital system used is hopefully a scorpius (www.scorpiuswireless.com) allowing best lane and different other pretty features... I am not sure about the single slot in the hairneedles. What do you think about overtaking and the flow of it? Any comments welcome!

Regards Jens (Kellerkind)

See less See more
#2 ·

Hurry up!!!!!

Can´t wait to see the first photos of your scenery. When this will look like your buildings that will become a gorgeous track .

Like your road plan.

do you want to built hills with ups and downs?

#5 ·
Even on paper it has a certain WOW factor.

On a practical side, 10 Scorpius Lane Brains is going to be quite expensive. Or are you only planning on running it in one direction, which means you can get away with 5. I believe each Lane Brain can handle two flippers.

Embs

#7 ·
There it is again: the tickle in my fingers! Thanks for your positive comments; they saved me from some sleepless nights!
@Frank: Some special scenery details for you!
@Embs: Yes, just one direction and 7 LB (one additional for pit and another for lapcounting and timing), later possibly 5 more for full bidirectional and all options.
@Sig: Of cause including shed and gas-station!

Regards Jens

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Jens,

"Strada del Vino" what an impressive name for a truly great layout. Another good reason to visit Neustadt an der Weinstraße - besides the good wine

Imho the layout has a great flow and I'm sure it will have an outstanding scenery! I love those narrow curves combined with the flow of a typical wood-layout!

However, I would suggest having double thoughts on the one-lane-section. Imagine racing with 3 or 4 guys on this relatively short layout having this one-lane-section. Will be quite crowded. I love your original layout having two lanes on the overpass.

I see you discussed with Rick, having two LC per lane-brain, so you know the effects.

Concerning best-lane: I always wonder how one can overtake on such a layout as the fastest lane always is the best lane.

I had a Ninco N'Digital layout, allowing to change to inner lane in front of almost each curve. It was so hard to overtake I decided to redesign track so there was a section you had to take some 180 degree curve outside and another on the inside in order to allow better chance for overtaking.

Maybe it's an idea of having keeping all those LC'S but adding a possibility to deactivate some of them in case overtaking becomes too difficult.

All the best and let's hope Scorpius is here with us asap.

Regards,
Diegu

#13 ·
Boy,OH Boy....

My track has a one lane section(which you know),it is fun with two cars but more than that might be problematic.
Contrary to popular belief,the single lane is a good place to pass,unfortunately only one car makes it through,sometimes neither.
in other words it is a good place for de-slotting..
Looking forward to the build....

#15 ·
If the track comes up anything like the drawing (and what I now have pictured my imagination) it will be a great looking track and a whole lota fun to drive.
Especially love the way you have the pit lane.

Looking forward to following the build.

Cheers

#16 ·
Hi all, thanks for the great feedback. Didnt know that you are happy with just a drawing on a paper
. Hopefully you dont expect too much from me; but be sure: I'll do my very best. Special thanks to Zook and diegu for their comments concerning the singlelane and overtaking. Indeed these are the two things you cant talk about before beeing tested. I guess I have to build it, drive it and then decide what is keepable and what isnt. After some thinking I guess that I have to build the overpass with two lanes to keep all options. I wanted this narrow section for scenery reasons: Imagine a narrow mountainstreet; you cant reach this effect with two lanes and enough space for drifting. If not needed on the other hand one lane can be cut off anyway before starting the scenery
.Lets see... Regards Jens

#18 ·
Looks like a fabulous starting point.

Personal I love a stretch of single lane in a digital layout, but how about making it as a squeeze section with 2 lanes very close ? This way you'll still be able to run a couple of analog cars.

Bst of both worlds.

Cheers

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi girls and guys,

sorry to nerve you with just another drawing instead of facts, but there are some minor problems that have to be solved first.
1. Time is short these days

2. Had to cut off about 50cm on the south side because of a shelf that is needed for stowage. Well, think I like it even better now!?...
3. Had to turn the whole thing mirror-like (see drawing) because a waterpipe (1:1) would have crossed my forest (1:32) otherwise...(Could theoretically have noticed this before)
4. Had to change the single lane into a doublelane, happy with this version now, too...
5. Have to do something hereandthereandelsewhereandwhenfinishedsomethingnewistherethathastobedone.......
Well, if you dont find any arguments that make me stop finishing my track like described on the drawing below, it will look like this:

Any comments welcome! Regards Jens

#22 ·
It does look great.....

The Landwasser esq tunnel to bridge should be great.

Racing hard every Sunday night on a digital track I'd support the comments about overtaking - I think you'll have a lot of collisions with most corners on "racing line". As suggested, some sections where changing does not bring immediate benefit would be advisable. The track at ENSCA is plastic and we were able to amend as required to ensure chances to overtake. In wood I suspect it will be more difficult.
You could lose the number 5 changer?

I'll be watching this too. Our current project is a routed digital track (though using SSD). Were just creating the space for storage - I've got permission to rebuild the stage to create a rather large storage area, so our first job is stage building!

Good luck with the build.

Ben

#23 ·
Hi BB ENSCA, worriing about the overtaking caused colisions, too one of the reasons I have chosen a scorpius-system is the anti-colision-mode it features. This doesnt allow a car to change lane when other lane is occupied. The question if a car on the best lane can be overtaken at all and if flippers have to be left away completely to allow better overtakingabilities seems to be problematic untill tryed out. I just will see when the raw track is build with braid an wiring...
Be sure: I dont know how it will be. But we definetely will see!
Regads Jens

#24 ·
ZITAT(BB ENSCA @ 19 Jan 2011, 10:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...The Landwasser esq tunnel to bridge should be great...

By the way, Landwasser tunnel/viaduct (http://www.rhb.ch/landwasser) is in fact THE example for a tunnel to bridge exit; thanks for the tip. I think I cannot reach the height needed for it
. I thought about some light construction of steel or wood, like example below. Knowing about the creativity of this forum I wont miss to ask you for some ideas or pictures of bridges. I'm looking forward to see your ideas.

Regards Jens

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Looking good Kellerkind! Very nice curves and flows, not to mention potentially a great scenic setup :)

The petrol station - the shape you're drawing makes me think of a vintage 80's Carrera service station.
Like this one:

Is that what you're thinking of?

I have one question though: the "S" in the middle top section, going over the tunnel. Does it have to be a sharp S to overcome height?
I suppose you need the S hairpins to do so. Otherwise, if there's not too much accidentation, i think i might consider a smoother flowing, faster S curve there. There are quite some tight curves in your track, so some wider bends / faster sections might be a joy to drive. This one's razor sharp ;-)

All the best,

Merc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.